Faverolles Thread

Judging/type lessons for me please. What about the birds made you like ones better? I noticed one of their combs wasnt as nice (pointy etc), what else. What made the 1st choice better than the rest? Im learning this stuff but its hard when you dont have birds to match and compare to, so this is a good opportunity. Thanks!

Yes, exactly, tell us what it is you like better or don't care for. You can read the standard for a breed but you still don't really know what makes one bird better than another.

Besides the correct number of toes and color I can't tell what I am looking at. Even counting the points on the combs has me confused. If faverolles are to have 5 points, is the first rise the first point and the rounded end of the comb not counted as a point? If this is the case that Junior is the only roo with 5 distinct points, am I correct?
Obvisously there is more than just a correct comb, what else makes him better?

Just trying to learn a little. If Gabby had gone with horses like her big sister we would have it made! We have a barn full of expensive horses and expensive equipment and a big sister heading off to college. Now we are turning stalls into insulated chiken coops little doors leading out to fenced in chicken runs. It is alot less expensive and we have always enjoyed chickens in the yard!

I am very new to favs and breeding poultry in general. I have learned everything I know from talking to breeders like Dick and Leisha, reading the standard, and from looking at lots of birds. You defently start to develope a sense of what a quality bird is supposed to look like. I am still learning new things every day. I would love to hear from Dick and Leisha about this. I think its how the bird is put together mostly. Beard and toes are important but the most important think is the body of the bird they have to have that fav shape which is still hard for me to see! That is what I love about breeding poultry I learn something new about my birds and poultry in general everyh single day and I know I can continue to do so for years.
Henry

Quote:
I picked Junior because of his comb. That's the one I liked. Don't get me wrong, the other birds are good also. In trying to breed for show quality, you have to start somewhere. As Faverolles hatch, toes are the first thing you should look at, then the combs. The sad part is at times you have to cull hard. Like Peter said no one enjoys that part. It all depends on how many chicks you plan on hatching. Years ago I would hatch 300 to 400 chicks and maybe keep 20 to 25 of them. It was a lot tougher years ago. At present I feel there are better quality birds out there. I didn't hatch many large salmons this year. Next year I plan on going big with my salmons, and who knows, maybe hatch about 200 chicks. I will be culling hard then. Probably culling for more minute things like correct toe separation and the exact amount of points on their comb. After that it will be for type. Faverolles type is number one. That's why you have to keep reading the standard, and if you can memorize it, or keep copies in your coop with pictures from the APA so you know exactly what your looking for. Then trying to get the color right on your birds. You might have hens that are to light where you might want to breed them to a darker male to try and even out the color, or light male to darker hens. I love the salmon Faverolles breed because it is a challege to try and breed the perfect bird.HA. I don't believe there is a perfect bird out there, but we all strive for it. And for just having Faverolles as pets, I think it's great. They are a docile breed. Don't get me wrong there is mean birds in every breed. I kept a cockerel from last years breeding and he hit me everytime I went in the pen. Needless to say, I don't have him anymore.
smile.png

Dick

Do you have any more attack roos Peter?
smile.png

The roo I got from Ron (from your line) is a sweet, docile, even tempered boy. I've been lucky in that most roos I've had, no matter the breed, have been non-aggressive. Just one LF fav roo was mean, and my daughter was afraid of one silkie boy, so they both left. I currently have one Sussex roo that has something against my muck boots.

Who in the Michigan area has Faverolle roosters they need to rehome? I need to replace my roos with 2 that don't have any knee joint issues. Several of the roos I got from the hatchery had bad knees. Of course the one's I kept ended up not being good either..... please PM me if you have any for sale. thanks

Back
Top Bottom