Faverolles Thread

Quote:
If you only have salmons, then I would say your other roo got in there and you got a black chick. Yes the 5h toe is dominant. But we do get some missing them.

I posted this on another thread too, but one of my broodies just hatched some 5-toed chicks that are 3 generations removed from silkie. I'd say the 5 toes is definitely dominant!
tongue.png

Quote:
Inkheart,
Dispo on them is a tad different but not much. I think the btms are the more docile but still one can get a fiesty btm male on occassion. Handling birds of either size as you would a pet will convince them you're not going to kill them when you touch them. Feed some type of reward, my fav is nonseed grapes. Not too much though. enough to get them to come to a certain call/sound you make and then hand feed them as you go along in time. If you're a culling breeder when you get them always do so out of sight of your birds of any kind. They do get what's going on.

Misty,
I will tell you when in pvt...any ones welcome to come see me if they get down this far. It's a rare thing but I have had a few come down after the sunshine classic in n fl in jan. 1 breeder came more than several times every year for quite a few years. fun.

pics i posted. well i learned this morning that that sweet pic of a wht btm pullet is NOT! it crowed this morning and is one of the oldest.. however, nice nice head structure and comb size. but alas i think all i hatched out from the eggs dick was so gracious to send me of wht btms are all bois. cute and sweet though.

have fun

i was wondering if they were all boys from their combs. but that one just stood out and looked like a pullet from the way it was standing. it's interesting how well some can fool you till they crow or lay that 1st egg!

Quote:
If you only have salmons, then I would say your other roo got in there and you got a black chick. Yes the 5h toe is dominant. But we do get some missing them.

I posted this on another thread too, but one of my broodies just hatched some 5-toed chicks that are 3 generations removed from silkie. I'd say the 5 toes is definitely dominant!
tongue.png

I think the five toed gene is considered an "incompletely dominant" gene. I am certainly no expert but I did do some research on this as I have crossed my Salmon Fav roo with hens of several other breeds and wanted to know. I have had crossbred chicks with 4 toes on each foot, 5 toes on each foot and even some with 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think I recognize that girl! Is that Esme? Except she now has feathers on her back and looks much better! Hope she makes you some great EE babies. At least they should have magnificent beards!
lol.png

Quote:
Inkheart,
Dispo on them is a tad different but not much. I think the btms are the more docile but still one can get a fiesty btm male on occassion. Handling birds of either size as you would a pet will convince them you're not going to kill them when you touch them. Feed some type of reward, my fav is nonseed grapes. Not too much though. enough to get them to come to a certain call/sound you make and then hand feed them as you go along in time. If you're a culling breeder when you get them always do so out of sight of your birds of any kind. They do get what's going on.

Misty,
I will tell you when in pvt...any ones welcome to come see me if they get down this far. It's a rare thing but I have had a few come down after the sunshine classic in n fl in jan. 1 breeder came more than several times every year for quite a few years. fun.

pics i posted. well i learned this morning that that sweet pic of a wht btm pullet is NOT! it crowed this morning and is one of the oldest.. however, nice nice head structure and comb size. but alas i think all i hatched out from the eggs dick was so gracious to send me of wht btms are all bois. cute and sweet though.

have fun

Hey Pete,
When it gets cooler I should be able to send you some white bantam pullets. I also have to many males. Gotta purge.
Dick

I also hatched too many roos. It's unfortunate one can only have so many. They're so pretty.

So which trait is harder to breed for, 5 good toes or beard/muffs? I'm beginning to sort through my F1s.

Lol Roo town here as well.... the hen who went broody during our vacation had 3 roos & 1 pullet, but the pullet just died after two days with a terrible cough. I sent her for necropsy & the preliminary says her respiratory system looked fine.
hit.gif

The chicks from dick's eggs are 3 roos & 2 pullets, all nice but one pullet is half the size of the other. They're having a blast running around outside in this heat. (100 again today) They have a chick sized wading pool... 1/2" of water in a big tray.

Quote:
I think I recognize that girl! Is that Esme? Except she now has feathers on her back and looks much better! Hope she makes you some great EE babies. At least they should have magnificent beards!
lol.png

Janelle (from TN) got her at a swap- I think the one in KY. She's so flipping cute! I might get a fav roo some day, but for now I have a splash wheaten ameraucana that's going to get at least 6 of the faverolle girls.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom