Faverolles Thread

why couldn't you sell pet qualty instead of culling? i have a friend that rehomes her serama nonshow birds that way

That sounds like a REALLY good plan. Maybe see how much interest there is on Craig's list for "future hatches" of non breeding birds. I would totally buy a 1 day/ 1 week chick from a local rather than have them airmailed from 1,000 miles away. Mine all came alive and well (and still are) but still, the trauma. Of course there is the issue of sexing them. Some of us can only use girls and won't be eating chickens we know personally. Of course, not everyone has that issue.

Last edited:
It is official... I HATE Salmon Faverolles!

Especially Jeremy's male that just won Grand Champion of Show!

It's one he bought at Ozark, Arkansas.

As I stated.... I really hate Salmon Faverolles! Especially this one below! That White Chantecler behind it is so much better looking!

I filed a complaint with the fair about that huge banner blocking the view of the prettier birds at the fair!

On a different topic, we are now looking for a new hat for Jeremy. Seems all of his are way to small for the current size of his greatly swelled HEAD!

419024_479517042072930_1108850209_n.jpg

That sounds like a REALLY good plan. Maybe see how much interest there is on Craig's list for "future hatches" of non breeding birds. I would totally buy a 1 day/ 1 week chick from a local rather than have them airmailed from 1,000 miles away. Mine all came alive and well (and still are) but still, the trauma. Of course there is the issue of sexing them. Some of us can only use girls and won't be eating chickens we know personally. Of course, not everyone has that issue.
You guys are awesome - I was having a "moment," the brain cells just weren't clicking!

I totally agree with the shipping thing, I have a hard time with that - tiny little fluff balls tumbling around in a cold/hot, dark box..... I know they probably don't remember it later in life, but I do! - And, I too struggle with eating birds I've raised. I'm really trying hard to get over that...
roll.png

Quote: The only issue here, is if you are selling day olds as PQ, that still doesn't stop anyone from breeding those less than stellar birds together, and saying they came from you....now, if you raised them until they were sexable, and sold the girls as layers, without boys, that's another thing, but then you're back at having to cull the boys, after you've raised them for a few weeks and might be starting to get attached to them....

The only issue here, is if you are selling day olds as PQ, that still doesn't stop anyone from breeding those less than stellar birds together, and saying they came from you....now, if you raised them until they were sexable, and sold the girls as layers, without boys, that's another thing, but then you're back at having to cull the boys, after you've raised them for a few weeks and might be starting to get attached to them....
I agree with Jeanine on this one. People will most likely breed and sell the chicks. The way to do it is raise the males and eat them and then sell the pullets as layers. Or make sure you sell the extra males to someone who is really going to eat them. There is a market for live chickens in some asian communities and I know people who sell their extras to them.

Quote:
Quote: i had a bird shipped in february to me, he died 2 weeks later, after hearing horror stories, won't have birds shipped or ship birds.....nope, can't eat em either

i know my friend with her seramas has a spare building with them in it, she never runs out of the pet quality but doesn't have the heart to cull them- in the case of roos, what about caponizing them? I have another friend that does them- i've never lost a boy that way- but those are just barnyard mixes not favs...

Quote: One of the problems with re-homing your culls is that you are essentially sending those less desirable genes out there into the world. You cannot control what happens to them. Sooner or later those bad genes will make their way back into the larger gene pool, and they will need to be eliminated all over agin, which can take years. The same with breeding the birds without beards or the large wattles that were pictured a few pages back, it brings the breed many steps backwards by adding in bad genes that took so many years to reduce or eliminate.

I realize that, when I do have the space to get serious into breeding, I will have to start culling at the incubator. I don't like it, but It's not about what I like. If I'm not willing to do what's required to improve the breed, I should not be breeding. That's why I have such an issue with people hatching just to show their kids "the miracle of life," or other excuses like that. They have videos on youtube for that sort of thing. If you're serious about improving a still very rare breed, then you must either be willing to take the unpleasant steps necessary, or simply do not breed at all from less than great birds. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but in a way I feel it's disrespectful to all of those breeders who have worked so hard to help preserve and improve this breed to create more birds because the chicks are so cute, or because I want offspring from my favorite hen, or some other less serious reason. There are so many breeds that are in plentiful supply, and in demand no matter the quality, that can be used for hatching for fun. Celebrating and promoting our love of this breed sometimes means NOT creating more if the conditions aren't right.

Ok, off my soapbox...

Back
Top Bottom