Faverolles Thread

Uggh, FEDEX and another overdue live shipment to PA. Fingers crossed they arrive okay.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

After talking to FEDEX I need blood pressure medication. And here I used to think they were more competent than the USPS. I got more info from my postmaster and the head of the sorting facility than FEDEX, and they don't even have them at the moment.

After talking to FEDEX I need blood pressure medication. And here I used to think they were more competent than the USPS. I got more info from my postmaster and the head of the sorting facility than FEDEX, and they don't even have them at the moment.
Man this is really bad news. Sorry to hear it. Hope it works out.

I think bringing eggs would be impossible... a pipe dream really, to actually have an importation do much good it would need to be a flock comprised of as many genetically different individual birds as possible. What about the frozen sperm importation idea? I know it is commonly done for other species... I was thinking of a person doing the correct paperwork and BRINGING something (frozen sperm) to the UK to help pay. I have no idea how it is usually done, but it is such a common practice with cattle that some breeds are having issues with genetic mono-culture potentially causing long term issues within their breeds. Basically some herds of some breeds all over the world are too similar to be used together...

Shipping eggs into the US is not impossible as long as you follow the protocol. Contact your state veterinarian to obtain the proper paperwork so you can find out all the T's to cross and I's to dot. I can't tell you exactly what to do because each state is different. When we looked into shipping eggs from Australia into the US it required two health certificates from veterinarians to ensure the parent stock was healthy. If you have contact with a local breeder that is willing to make these arrangements then your cost (in my state) is he vet fees and shipping.

The issue of shipping frozen chicken semen is very highly unlikely to be successful. The sperm cells of a chicken is VERY different than mammalian sperm. Scientific research has shown that under the best conditions with scientists that know what they are doing the best case scenario is 40-50% AT BEST. And this s by those that are skilled in the practice that are freezing and thawing the semen in the same facilities and not shipping it.

There is my two cents worth.....well, maybe a nickels worth

Man this is really bad news. Sorry to hear it. Hope it works out.
I think they will get there tomorrow, but the whole thing is frustrating. I've shipped and received a bunch of birds with no issues at all. Then all of a sudden it's a disaster.

In talking to FEDEX I had one lady insist they did not ship live birds and directed me to a petshipper website. The rest, including 2 different managers, just repeated the mantra that I either needed the FEDEX shipping number (which of course I don't have, and if the sorting facility had it they could find out where they are on their own) or I need to have the USPS put a trace on them. I kept saying how can they trace a package THEY DON"T HAVE!! YOU have it!! I couldn't find anyone willing to call Boston, Manchester or Philly to see if they were there. How can you miss a big box of birds?

The manager of the sorting facility said they were bumped from last night's flight for dry ice. I'm glad they were but they weren't supposed to be. Live shipments are supposed to be a priority Mon-Wed.

I think they will get there tomorrow, but the whole thing is frustrating. I've shipped and received a bunch of birds with no issues at all. Then all of a sudden it's a disaster.

In talking to FEDEX I had one lady insist they did not ship live birds and directed me to a petshipper website. The rest, including 2 different managers, just repeated the mantra that I either needed the FEDEX shipping number (which of course I don't have, and if the sorting facility had it they could find out where they are on their own) or I need to have the USPS put a trace on them. I kept saying how can they trace a package THEY DON"T HAVE!! YOU have it!! I couldn't find anyone willing to call Boston, Manchester or Philly to see if they were there. How can you miss a big box of birds?

The manager of the sorting facility said they were bumped from last night's flight for dry ice. I'm glad they were but they weren't supposed to be. Live shipments are supposed to be a priority Mon-Wed.

Praying and praying..... and biting my fingers.
fl.gif
roll.png
And holding my breath.

sad.png

Praying and praying..... and biting my fingers.
fl.gif
roll.png
And holding my breath.

sad.png
Me too. They had food, and it's cool so they should be okay. I just wish I could find someone from FEDEX willing to make some calls to see WHERE they are.

If they haven't reached the USPS sorting facility by morning the local USPS guys will be doing what they can again.

Shipping eggs into the US is not impossible as long as you follow the protocol. Contact your state veterinarian to obtain the proper paperwork so you can find out all the T's to cross and I's to dot. I can't tell you exactly what to do because each state is different. When we looked into shipping eggs from Australia into the US it required two health certificates from veterinarians to ensure the parent stock was healthy. If you have contact with a local breeder that is willing to make these arrangements then your cost (in my state) is he vet fees and shipping.
The issue of shipping frozen chicken semen is very highly unlikely to be successful. The sperm cells of a chicken is VERY different than mammalian sperm. Scientific research has shown that under the best conditions with scientists that know what they are doing the best case scenario is 40-50% AT BEST. And this s by those that are skilled in the practice that are freezing and thawing the semen in the same facilities and not shipping it.
There is my two cents worth.....well, maybe a nickels worth

There has been some progress with poultry/avian species in the last 10 years or so... I do not know much about it, just what is online, but it is being used although not much commercially. Also, It was not the actual shipping of the eggs as it was the likely hood of getting enough breeding material to make it worthwhile. It was done a number of years ago by someone, and the number of actual birds they ended up with was incredibly small for the $ spent.

Last edited:
Me too. They had food, and it's cool so they should be okay. I just wish I could find someone from FEDEX willing to make some calls to see WHERE they are.

If they haven't reached the USPS sorting facility by morning the local USPS guys will be doing what they can again.

I so hope they make it easily tomorrow and are safe and sound.
hmm.png
Poor girls.

Back
Top Bottom