Favorite actions or sounds of your birds?

Pics

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
Today I was reminded of how cute birds can be even though I'm sure certain ones aren't even trying to be. When it comes to sounds our rooster Roo while hes not trying to his little sounds of trying to get his girls attention and given them treats is sooo adorable! I feel bad for calling them adorable because well hes a rooster so its probably his nature but ugh I can't help but say "Good boy Roo" when hes making those little sounds and bobbing his head up and down and picking up the treat and trying to get closer to the girl he wants to give it to.

When it comes to actions as much as I hate it but also love it our girl Rosemary beats it. Almost everyday that girl is something. I usually wear sports/basketball shorts outside despite the cold cause I love my cold weather lol And little miss Rosemary does this thing where shell come up and do little jumps and trying to do some sort of bite/beak scratch against my shorts. It drives me crazy.. I don't get the point of her action yet. Is it a attention thing. Treat thing. Affection thing? Because of the hole like texture of them? I dunno but its adorably annoying lol She's done it to my back as well but more often than not its my shorts she does it to. When their free ranging its less often. Strange little girl

Attachments

• pexels-matthis-volquardsen-2465374.jpg
    pexels-matthis-volquardsen-2465374.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited by a moderator:
And little miss Rosemary does this thing where shell come up and do little jumps and trying to do some sort of bite/beak scratch against my shorts.
Not sure if she thinks that's just interesting material or trying to get your attention. Try wear something else to see if she still does it to normal clothes, then you'll know. I'd hope it's that she's just trying to get your attention. ☺️

Speaking of strange, we have a hen that hops like a rabbit half the time. They free-range, so when her flock moves on she sometimes hops behind them. It's pretty funny. I think she's just happy.

Not sure if she thinks that's just interesting material or trying to get your attention. Try wear something else to see if she still does it to normal clothes, then you'll know. I'd hope it's that she's just trying to get your attention. ☺️

Speaking of strange, we have a hen that hops like a rabbit half the time. They free-range, so when her flock moves on she sometimes hops behind them. It's pretty funny. I think she's just happy.
Thats what I'm wondering XD It'll be to cold for shorts soon as snow starts building up so I'll find out then if its just the material or if its for attention. Shes our friendliest girl and doesn't mind being held which is why its hard to tell.

A hopping chicken! Maybe she thinks shes the easter bunny lol. I've seen a rooster hop and flap a few times but it was a rare sight and only lasted a few seconds lol I can only imagine a hopping hen going for some distance XD

I love those rooster noises, too! They're so sweet sounding - a manly version of the hens calling chicks over for food. I love how if no one comes to investigate right away, they'll pick up the treat and drop it over and over again, getting increasingly aggravated that no one seems to be paying attention.
Almost everything roosters do charm me, actually, and I think it's because it's like having a mama hen in the flock 24-7, but instead of chicks he's caring for hens. The food call, the making sure everyone eats before he does, the warning call when he sees danger, the quick head peck he gives bullying birds to get them to quit picking on eachother, the frantic dash to protect a hen if he hears her in distress, the waiting outside until he's sure everyone has gone into the coop at night, etc. There's nothing better for a flock than a good rooster, in my opinion.

I love those rooster noises, too! They're so sweet sounding - a manly version of the hens calling chicks over for food. I love how if no one comes to investigate right away, they'll pick up the treat and drop it over and over again, getting increasingly aggravated that no one seems to be paying attention.
Almost everything roosters do charm me, actually, and I think it's because it's like having a mama hen in the flock 24-7, but instead of chicks he's caring for hens. The food call, the making sure everyone eats before he does, the warning call when he sees danger, the quick head peck he gives bullying birds to get them to quit picking on eachother, the frantic dash to protect a hen if he hears her in distress, the waiting outside until he's sure everyone has gone into the coop at night, etc. There's nothing better for a flock than a good rooster, in my opinion.
Our rooster must not be as good as yours XD Hes not even a year old yet so that might also be why but yeah I feel bad when Roo does it for so long but the girls aren't focusing on him lol. When it comes to food he'll eat the crumble and stuff with the girls but when it comes to scraps/treats he starts trying to give it to the girls. Never seen him peck a bully more like the girls body slam him sometimes when hes trying to mate another lol. As for nighttime honestly he's usually the first one in lol.

My boys make the cutest and most loving calls. Especially those the little serama boy makes. They sound adorable. The only thing that beats them is momma female noises🥰
I really hope atleast one of our girls go broody next year and hatch out some chicks. I'm really wanting it to be our friendliest girl Rosemary. But at this point I really want to experience a hen takeing care of her babies rather than raising chicks in a brooder. I see soo many videos and its sooo adorable but I want that first hand experience XD

Back
Top Bottom