Favorite actions or sounds of your birds?

Wait, my barred rock Esther does this exact same thing when she lays an egg,
Wow, is this maybe a Barred Rock "thing"? I only have the one, so no other experience of them. That and no egg song...🤔🤨🤗 She's a great layer, too. I'd definitely get more Barred Rocks in future if Xena's typical.

Last edited:
"The Serama Chateau", love it!!! Do they have a fancy B&B-type sign? 😉 😄 I can almost see a mental video of excited, swarming Seramas...
They currently have a small painted sign, but I want to have a nicer one made. I LOVE your fancy B&B idea! Just an hour ago, I was in there. I was kneeling and a black Serama cockerel, a Porcelain d’Anvers rooster, a chocolate Serama cockerel, AND a Mille Fleur d’Uccle hen were on my lap in seconds! I love it! Then another hen flew from her roost onto my shoulder! 🥰 Teeny chickens are so fun!! ❤️

I just love listening to my girls' different voices. My Australorp sounds like a low tea kettle or like she's trying out for the choir. The Welsummer sounds hoarse and has a soft voice until she sings her egg song, then it sounds like she's being murdered. My RIR is the loudest and make sit seem like there are 20 chickens with her constant BAWK BAWK BAWK-ing. Then there's my Salmon Faverolles....she barks like a dog and will just stand there with her mouth wide open barking barking...but she also does this funny high-pitched sneeze sound, we'll just hear a sudden BEEP and there she'll be shaking her head. Cracks me up every time.:jumpy
You have quite the versatile chicken chorus!!! 🤣 I can almost hear them from your great descriptions. (My Black Australorp Sheila sounds like that, too, I just didn't have a way to describe it!)

But my favorite thing they do is when they rush to snuggle with me when I lie down on the outdoor sofa. They will either cozy up on me or next to me and take naps or just hang out.
Wow, you are definitely their chicken mama! This is so sweet...I admit some envy! The photos are precious, love it. (Ours, alas, need to stay in their secure yard away from the dogs & the hawks, so no lounging on the deck with me.)

Come spring I may try putting a lounge chair in there and just sitting with them, see what happens...mealworms might help get things started.😉

Wow, is this maybe a Barred Rock "thing"? I only have the one, so no other experience of them. That and no egg song...🤔🤨🤗 She's a great layer, too. I'd definitely get more Barred Rocks in future if Xena's typical.
Realy??? Mine screams at me constantly, and can trick me out of almost any food, so I personaly would not, but maybe yours isn't like that... or you like it more. I'm in the city, so if she screamed any louder I would be worried about a noise complaint, lol.

Today I was reminded of how cute birds can be even though I'm sure certain ones aren't even trying to be. When it comes to sounds our rooster Roo while hes not trying to his little sounds of trying to get his girls attention and given them treats is sooo adorable! I feel bad for calling them adorable because well hes a rooster so its probably his nature but ugh I can't help but say "Good boy Roo" when hes making those little sounds and bobbing his head up and down and picking up the treat and trying to get closer to the girl he wants to give it to.

When it comes to actions as much as I hate it but also love it our girl Rosemary beats it. Almost everyday that girl is something. I usually wear sports/basketball shorts outside despite the cold cause I love my cold weather lol And little miss Rosemary does this thing where shell come up and do little jumps and trying to do some sort of bite/beak scratch against my shorts. It drives me crazy.. I don't get the point of her action yet. Is it a attention thing. Treat thing. Affection thing? Because of the hole like texture of them? I dunno but its adorably annoying lol She's done it to my back as well but more often than not its my shorts she does it to. When their free ranging its less often. Strange little girl

I will say the Irritating sound when u pissed them off and their wing dance sound is best

I have a mixed flock of 6 girls. I'm fairly new to chickens (less than 3 years). I spend a lot of time with them and they bring me great joy. But my favorite thing they do is when they rush to snuggle with me when I lie down on the outdoor sofa. They will either cozy up on me or next to me and take naps or just hang out. So precious!
I love these pictures so much! The one with the hen resting her head on your leg :love

Back
Top Bottom