Favorite Breeds?

melodyrg

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2012
In the future I really want to start my own breeding project and specialize on one certain breed. So what do you think? I have a mixed flock right now and don't find any of them particularly interesting. So what's your favorite breed and why? I've been looking at some rare breeds but I'm not partial for any of those either. Anywayy, what're your ideas?

My favorite is the Speckled Sussex. Dual purpose heritage breed and they are my friendliest chickens. I have EEs, Marans, BR, Americana, and Barnyard mixes and the SS are definitely the most personable of the group.

I have wyandottes and i don't care much for their personality, sussexs really look beautiful though! Thanks!

English Orpingtons are my favorite. they are a very big, beautiful, dual purpose, heritage breed. They have a wonderful personality, very friendly most of mine come up to me and want to either be petted or held!!

check out my website and facebook page for more info and pics if you would like and PM or e-mail me if you have any questions...links below
thumbsup.gif

I have wyandottes and i don't care much for their personality, sussexs really look beautiful though! Thanks!
I have never owned heritage wyandottes only hatchery ones and I did not like the personality from the hatchery wyandottes...but I am sure that if you did get wyandottes from a good breeder with good quality lines their personality would be different...I know for certain that hatchery Orpingtons and English Orpingtons like I breed are a lot different personality wise...hatchery Orps are more skittish like leghorns and the English Orps are laid back, calm, docile, and friendly

Quote: My SLW is just very skittish and I don't really find her facial features super appealing, is that mean? She just stays away from everyone who comes near the coop. :/

I have never owned heritage wyandottes only hatchery ones and I did not like the personality from the hatchery wyandottes...but I am sure that if you did get wyandottes from a good breeder with good quality lines their personality would be different...I know for certain that hatchery Orpingtons and English Orpingtons like I breed are a lot different personality wise...hatchery Orps are more skittish like leghorns and the English Orps are laid back, calm, docile, and friendly
Im going to be buying an incubator soon. Do you sell hatching eggs?

Quote: I will start selling hatching eggs either early next spring (2014) or this fall (2013) depending on when the pullets start laying!

I have BBS (Black, Blue and Splash) English Orpingtons

I also have project Lavenders half English half American Orpington... all chicks hatched from the Project lavenders this spring will be Black Splits ( look Black but carry the lavender gene)

PM me if you have any questions
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom