Favorite treats for your chickens

yogurt and oatmeal, of course but 2 new ones are

leftover cooked saurkraut
and

catfish carcasses - we threw them a few with the heads still attached after filleting last weekend. They went CRAZY!!!!

I like to feed mine dry rolled oats by hand. My chickens are a bit skittish, so this is the best way to get a good look at them and get in some interaction.

Corey

raisens. I have a rooster who will jump in the air to get them. Tomatoes are a favorite too. Actually, now that I think about it, they eat just about anything I bring over there (execpt lettuces). They go crazy over slugs and beetles from the garden too.

when i get crickets for fishing i give them the leftovers and they go crazy chasing them around and eating them.

I toss in a couple of shucked ears of corn, that and watermelon seems to be their favourite. I also gave them a couple of overripe peaches today for the first time and those seemed to disappear pretty quick.

Quote:
I like the self-sustaining aspect of this
but I would use a smaller bucket (ice cream etc) and probably dog food, or something else that decomposes pretty fast. As he says in the vid, the carbon in the top layer of straw should keep the smell down. I would also hang it up somewhere out of the way, or tie it to a fence, as long as the chickens had immediate access to it, as yu dont necessarily want to start hatching out lots of flies. Its free, full of protein, and a really natural food for the chickens.. not sure if it woudl outweigh the 'eww factor', but might be worth a try. I will post results, but it will take a week or two

Melons.

I mean homegrown, heirloom, variety melons.
smile.png
I love throwing out fleshy chunks or the rinds to them, each time a different kind. That way they get a good variety of flavors but still some good nutrients.

Of course, in the winter, the big hit is oatmeal or kefir.

Quote:
Fishing tacke shop, great idea! Some really good posts here, tried yogurt on mine last night, for their dessert; after eyeing me up suspiciously, and pecking my hand, just to keep me in my place
idunno.gif
they tasted a beakful or two before deciding it was probably the most delicious thing to date, flicking their necks, and sending splats of yogurt everywhere, and then pecking it off each others feathers as well.. i would say it was a sucess
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom