Feather eating goosies?

Feathers Acres

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Michigan
My Sebbies are 8 weeks old and one has begun feasting on the others feathers and has finaly nibbled at them soo hard that his wing feathers have begun bleeding. I have wiped his wing feathers
and seperated them from one anouther, I have read about this
happening and have tried to entertain them as much as I could
so they wouldnt by taking them out an hour a day to feed on fresh
grass since all the grass inside there pen is already dead and gone.
Is there anything else I can do for the one with the bleeding wing?? put neosporin on it? peroxide? or just let it be and let it
heal?

Quote:
Make sure the quill isn't remaining and broken off. at that stage of developement the quill is basically a hard blood vessel to supply blood to the rest of the feather that has been taken off. They don't heal anywhere near as fast as an empty feather folicle (spelling) would. Or to put it another way if it is still bleeding after 24 hours it is time to consider pulling the quill. It will have to come out sometime before a normal feather will/can replace it. It is somewhat like baby teeth in a human it is generally better to leave them alone but if they are causing problems removal can be the best answer. Usually a broken quill will dry up and eventually fall out by itself and a new feather grows to replace it. It won't be too long before the geese will start molting their juvinle feathers for their first set of adult feathers.
Opps I just remembered this is a sebbie and they are different from other geese because of their feathers. I know nothing about sebbie feathers maybe someone that has them should validate my post?

I am having the same problem with one of my trio eating the others feathers. The bigger gosling (6 weeks) is eating the feathers off the other two. I've seriously considered separating them but then they cry and cry. Could it be that there is something missing in the their diet? But then wouldn't all 3 instead of just 1 be feather eating?

A lot of the time when babies start picking on each other they are in to small of an area. Give them some weeds to chew on.

I had the same problem with my goslings and I had to seperate the one who was chewing the feathers from the others too, but they were still in the brooding area so I could keep their pens close together so they could still see each other. With mine it turned into an obsession and she wouldn't stop. When they were put out in their large fenced in area she never once would touch the others feathers but the minute she was put back in the brooding area she started right in. I would say that the area they are in might be too small or like you said, boredom. As far as the bleeding feathers go, as long as the bleeding has stopped and you seperate them the area should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom