Feather Eating - Problem or no problem?

I'm feeding them layer feed. Normally they all peck their feathers, but not each others. The feed's in a bucket with holes on 4 sides that goes into a tray with access on all sides. I would figure because the layer feed has less protein, that would be why they are eating feathers, but we started giving them layer feed at the age of 15 weeks.

I've been told all over the website to give them layer feed at the age of 16 weeks. They're around 19 or 20 now and expecting an egg at any given time. They haven't been eating as many as a noticed before, and I haven't done much about it. They seem fine. Seems to be that it's just a faze that they're growing out of. They started eating feathers around 18 weeks when we moved them into the coop. Thanks.

Here's just some of the many references there are:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1016267/when-to-change-feed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41589/when-to-change-feed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/531280/when-to-change-the-feed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/532419/when-to-change-to-layer-feed

4 months old = 16 weeks. I started feeding them layer feed around 16 weeks because that's what most people were saying. Some people said 18 weeks, some said 20, but the majority said 16. I haven't noticed many problems with refusal to eat it, and there wasn't a real point in giving them more starter feed because they finish a full bag in 6 weeks.

Last edited:
I think the concern with feeding layer feed too early is the possibility of adverse long term effects on the chickens' kidneys. As previously stated, you can find threads and information all over the forum to support feeding your chickens whatever you want, whenever you want to do it. I can't speak to the effects of layer feed too soon as I have done no research on it. I don't know when those ill effects would manifest.

As far as what chickens in the wild eat, comparing them to a domestic chicken's diet is like comparing apples to oranges. If a chicken in the wild were to eat "all kinds of different things it shouldn't", there wouldn't be any more chickensin the wild. Just like other wild animals, I believe they instinctively eat what they should and avoid what they shouldn't. Our domestic chickens are dependent on us to feed them properly. Even my free ranged chickens are dependent on me for feed in the winter, and to supplement their free range diet.

Layer feed is formulated to be fed as the sole ration, nothing else is needed, and by feeding anything else you tend to dilute down the protein of your birds diet.

Many pullets that are switched to layer when they begin laying are often still growing so switching to a lower protein when they need extra protein because they are now producing eggs as well as growing, doesn't make sense. It does make sense in production birds that are caged and have no need for anything else.

I prefer to never feed layer, I can provide extra calcium through oyster shells, so layer does nothing for my flock except make them slowly protein deficit over time. I feed an all flock or a non medicated grower.

Chickens in the wild don't produce eggs like our domesticated breeds do, so their protein needs are lower. The higher the production the more need for protein, that is why in the past my sex link hens turned into egg eaters and feather eaters because they are super layers and require more.

You can feed layer prior to egg laying, but you need to be aware of the potential issues that may develop if the birds aren't getting enough protein. Feather eating is one of the primary indicators. If you notice that, then you need to address it ASAP.
My hens are plucking each other's feathers. There's only two that get pecked and I'm trying to regrow their feathers but when the new feathers come in the other hens peck them out
That kind of issue can be caused by two things, primarily. First is too little protein in their overall diet. Second is too little space. What do you feed? Treats? How big, exactly, is the coop and run? How many birds live in the coop/run?

@sebloc It doesn't seem to me that there is anything wrong with your chickens. From my small bit of experience, chickens will peck at and possibly swallow all kinds of small things that catch their attention, so long as they can get it into their crop. I've even heard of them eating whole mice. If a fallen feather catches a breeze and moves, it's probably viewed as fair game. I have to tie back my hair before going into the run, because if I lean over they jump and try to catch it. They may be domesticated, but they're still animals with instincts for flocking and even hunting. I started mine on layer feed when 3 out of 11 had laid an egg. I doubt there will be any lasting damage to the non-layers at this point because they are over 20 weeks. I have seen them eat a feather occasionally, but they usually just pick off a bit of fluff and not eat the entire thing, unless it's small. I think it's just something they sometimes do, maybe out of boredom. They aren't pulling feathers from themselves or others either, so I don't see any reason to worry. I give them black oil sunflower seeds once a day, so I also doubt they are protein deficient.

Back
Top Bottom