Feather Fixer ~ Good for molting hen(s)?

Would Feather Fixer be helpful?

• Yes - it will be helpful

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No - it most likely will not improve anything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe - I’ve never used it, but it appears to be useful!

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Would it be helpful to purchase some “Feather Fixer” for her? She’s pretty old and getting thin, I suspect she needs a higher protein feed.
Sure, it's got more Protein 18% and Fat 4% than typical Layers feed, 16% & 2.5%.
I used it as a replacement for Layers feed, even when they weren't molting, because my Golden Comets would feather pick on a 16% Layers feed.
I would still use it year round if it was cheaper.
I currently use either a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser 20%, year round, which ever is fresher when I'm at TSC. Both are cheaper and are 50# instead of 40#. The only downside is they're Crumbles instead of Pellets.
I have 32 month old hens only one is laying, another is molting. 20181130_084605.jpg .
I also have 15 week old Pullets, not yet laying. I feed all the same feed, with Oyster Shells for the hens. GC

Sure, it's got more Protein 18% and Fat 4% than typical Layers feed, 16% & 2.5%.
I used it as a replacement for Layers feed, even when they weren't molting, because my Golden Comets would feather pick on a 16% Layers feed.
I would still use it year round if it was cheaper.
I currently use either a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser 20%, year round, which ever is fresher when I'm at TSC. Both are cheaper and are 50# instead of 40#. The only downside is they're Crumbles instead of Pellets.
I have 32 month old hens only one is laying, another is molting.View attachment 1605278.
I also have 15 week old Pullets, not yet laying. I feed all the same feed, with Oyster Shells for the hens. GC

Can't you get Poulin Grain in CT? Their Turkey/Gamebird Finisher pellets might be a good option. It is 20%. I paid $14.52/50lbs. at the feed store. Flock Raiser crumbles are $16.99 at TSC.

Can't you get Poulin Grain in CT?
The two Independent feed stores near me carry Blue Seal at one and Nutrena Naturewise at the other. And you pay and drive to the warehouse and they put in your vehicle. I've gotten feed older than I prefer to get from one, haven't bought feed from the other since the 80s.
I like to purchase feed less than 6 weeks old. GC

I've got quail, 3 month old bantam Polish, an 8 week old OEGB, and 4 molting Easter Eggers. I feed everyone Flock Raiser crumbles and added in Feather Fixer for the EEs since the pellets are easier in my hanging pest proof feeder. They've come out of molting in about 5 weeks, and one started laying again yesterday, and they'll be 3 in March. If I were you, I'd certainly give it a try since that looks like a very hard molt.

The two Independent feed stores near me carry Blue Seal at one and Nutrena Naturewise at the other. And you pay and drive to the warehouse and they put in your vehicle. I've gotten feed older than I prefer to get from one, haven't bought feed from the other since the 80s.
I like to purchase feed less than 6 weeks old. GC
Gotcha! I stand by the back of my car & check the date before I leave, LOL! My TSC lots of the time has old feed & usually doesn't have what I want! Whatever works!

Older girls can take ages to completely regain feather cover after a molt. It just takes so much out of them.
In some cases, they never do. I have a 6-yr-old Brahma hen and she's been missing her tail for two years now.
Feather Fixer could work. Giving her some extra high-protein goodies could help, too. Even mealworms have worked wonders for my girls in molt distress. :lol:

Just opened my Poulin Grain Turkey/Gamebird finisher & I like the looks of it! It is a real small pellet & the smell was much better than any other conventional grain I have ever used. Usually Purina & Nutrena have a real strong beer smell, LOL, even when they are fresh & this is all the years I have used them! I figure it is the binder they use, as organic never smells that way. Not saying it's bad, just a strong smell. This feed has none of that. Now to see if the guineas & chickens like it.

You can also mix in Chick Starter. I have 16% layer mixed in with 18% Starter, 50/50 mix for a 17% protein feed and feathers grow in really nice and quick! It also lowers the total calcium which is good for non laying molters, they don't need the high calcium when not laying.

You can also mix in Chick Starter. I have 16% layer mixed in with 18% Starter, 50/50 mix for a 17% protein feed and feathers grow in really nice and quick! It also lowers the total calcium which is good for non laying molters, they don't need the high calcium when not laying.
Thank you! I’ll do that, I’m just about to go out and feed my chooks! She lives with 2 other largefowl pullets, and 6 bantams, will it be okay if I still mix in the free-choice oyster shells?

Thank you Leyla!

Back
Top Bottom