Feather issue - help needed

chicduckie

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2022
Putnam County, NY
We noticed today that our Batan has a balding patch on her neck but at a closer look, it seems the feathers have broken off. She doesn't seem to be being bullied or anything. Any ideas and suggestions on what this could be? TIA.

Attachments

• Betty.png
    Betty.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 59
She's molting, those are new, pin feathers coming in. Perfectly normal. That will happen all over her body until she has a whole new set of feathers. No worries, she will take care of them herself, the sheaths will come off and there will be a pristine new feather. She may get more bald spots, or sometimes it's so gradual that there aren't any noticable gaps.
More on molting here:
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-molting-chickens/

If you are feeding a layer feed, those are 16% protein. You can switch to an all flock or starter/grower in the 18 - 20% range. Some scrambled or cooked egg, or canned tuna also have protein. The link I gave above has suggestions.

What sort of foods should I give her to introduce additional protein?
I really have found that my chickens love sardines, tuna, chicken, salmon and eggs
They would Greta lot of protein from mealworms as well . And this might just be my chickens but they really love High protein High Quality cat food *moist*

Back
Top Bottom