Feather pecking

MudderChic

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2017
Jupiter, Florida
IMG_8758.JPG
Hi y'all, I need some advice for my Roo. Above and below his vent is missing feathers and is red with some crusty sores. What can I put on it to help the healing process? We have 2 Roos and the duck the dominant one is separated till we let them free roam. So I think it's duck doing this as he chases the one in the pick. Here is a image of Ricky's vent area. I put water on it to give relief .

I see he's also growing in some big feathers. I use bluekote to disguise the red coloring of the skin which can attract pecking. If it continues you may have to separate him out until it heals.

I see he's also growing in some big feathers. I use bluekote to disguise the red coloring of the skin which can attract pecking. If it continues you may have to separate him out until it heals.
Thank you he is with only hens at night and the other one is ina different cage however I let them all spit to free roam. It's possible that the hens peck at him to.

It's a spray, be careful it stains anything it touches. I would hold the rooster by his feet with his chest on the ground and spray his bum. It can be found at most farm stores.

Many roosters will allow hens to peck and pick at them without complaints.

Is There a egg withdrawal period. Would you get the spray or liquid bottle. How long to apply it. Thanks again. I'm alway inspecting them. I separated the 2 Roos about 3 weeks ago, his new feather growth came in and then I saw this. I guess Ricky couldn't out run duck

No withdrawal, it's a topical antiseptic that hides the color of flesh which can draw chickens in to peck. Put him down while it's wet so any curious pecking will taste bad. Apply as necessary. It tends to last about a week or so before it starts to wear off.

Back
Top Bottom