Feather pest question

rmbt418

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
I have many, many chickens, geese, ducks, guineas and peafowl (3 adult and one one week old born here). All free range. I cought and held my adult peacock yesterday and noticed that he had these small bugs crawling on the shaft of his feathers near the skin. Can anybody tell me what it is and how to get rid of it. They look like mites or a small insect like that. All of the birds are health with no feather issues. I have never seen this before and have had birds for 10+ years now. No new birds have come in since my baby chicens from the hatchery in May/June 2009.

Help!

Thank you Imp!! That was helpful!

I checked several of the chickens and baby chickens and have found them not to have any bugs on the. Should I still treat them all?

Thank you!!

You could dust them all with DE. Certainly can't hurt!
smile.png

Knock on wood, we haven't had any trouble with it yet but we do dust them on occasion and put sprinkle some D.E in their little dust bath holes and in their coop bedding. I do plan on getting the ivermectin you can put on the backs for worming and external parasites as well as safeguard.
wink.png

Thank you all!!! Is ivermectin and Ivomec safe for egg layers? How long should I wait to collect/eat the eggs again?

Last edited:
I dont think ivomec, should be used if you plan to eat the eggs.

I use it on peafowl, before and after breeding season. Think if will hurt the fertile of eggs.

Remember it kills anything feeding on the bird(worms,lices,mites).

I use it 30 or more days before they lay.

Back
Top Bottom