Feather Plucking

Woodswoman

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2023
I have two Rhode Island Reds and four Jersey Black Giants. The Reds continually pluck feathers from the Giants. Both of the Reds get plenty of calcium carbonate and oyster shell. Does anyone know why these two keep doing this despite my best effort including pinless peepers? Thank you

I have two Rhode Island Reds and four Jersey Black Giants. The Reds continually pluck feathers from the Giants. Both of the Reds get plenty of calcium carbonate and oyster shell. Does anyone know why these two keep doing this despite my best effort including pinless peepers? Thank you
How old are these birds, in months?
How big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Did they all grow up together?
What all and how exactly are you feeding them?

ETA, looked at your other posts and find this diet could be deficient:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hens-possibly-injured-strange-wobbling.1576792/post-26788652

How old are these birds, in months?
How big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Did they all grow up together?
What all and how exactly are you feeding them?

ETA, looked at your other posts and find this diet could be deficient:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hens-possibly-injured-strange-wobbling.1576792/post-26788652
The birds are a little over a year old and get plenty of nutrition. Fermented wheat and barley, grubs, kelp, cornmeal, flax seeds, daily a fruit or vegetable, plus they eat bugs outside. Their run is 14 x 14 feet. Yes, they all grew up together and this feather plucking is only done by the two reds, none of the Jersey Black Giants feather pluck. The feather plucking started around March of this year, prior to that none of them did plucking.

What I'm looking for is ideas on how to get them to stop.

Agree about the homemade diet, both ?? protein levels, and the vitamin/ mineral mix seems to be missing.
And here we no longer have hatchery RIRs or other production reds, because they tended to be our feather picking problem birds.
Jersey Giants here have been sweet and mellow birds too.
Mary
None of the other girls pluck feathers which seems to be an indicator of plenty of vitamins and minerals. I ferment the wheat and the barley releasing even more of the protein. The hens get fruits and vegetables daily supplying vitamins. The hens also get oyster shell and Microna calcium carbonate grit. Since the plucking started in March of this year sometime and I am in Alaska I thought maybe boredom. What I really need is a remedy. Thank you so much for your answer.

Pinless Peepers may solve this, can be ordered online. Or soup...
Mary
I put a painless peeper on Scarlet for a week and a half, it prevented the plucking and after taking it off, she didn't do it at first but then started doing it again. I put one on Penny too, but her nostrils were too small and it was hurting her so I took it back off.

Back
Top Bottom