Feather Wings- True Story of My Chickens

pop.gif

THANK YOU, EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY STORY!
celebrate.gif

It was still dark and The Food Lady opened our door. I immediately noted the cold and damp weather. The days were getting shorter, so we had to get into bed earlier.
One day, I was just eating and drinking as normal, and then a sharp pain stabbed me in my lower stomach.
Was I sick?
What’s going on?
My worst thought was: Am I going to die?
The sharp pain prodded at me again, and I could feel something pushing through my body. I decided to climb in the nesting box and try to feel better. But as I jumped into the coop, my stomach lurched and the pain got worse from there. I got into the nesting box, and more pain began convulsing through my body. I placed the side of my head onto the divider between our two nesting boxes. How long was I in there? An hour? Two? Another pulse of pain, and it was all over.
An egg.
That’s what.
I climbed out and let The Food Lady come get it.
I noted that I was unusually hungry. So I wolfed down some food and went over to get a drink. Then, little white puffy… things? Feathers? Eggs? Whatever they were, they were falling from the sky, but only lasted for about a minute.
“What was that???” Pepper turned.
“Was it rain?”
“I don’t think so…”
“Pepper! You’re talking again!” I screeched happily.
But she turned away from me. “They took my egg. My baby.”
“But, Pepper, we don’t have any roosters around, therefore there aren’t going to be any new chickens unless the humans buy more.”
Pepper didn’t say anything.

We got in the coop for the night and I sat on the perch so I could sleep. I turned to Pepper, but she was already sleeping. I turned to the chicken wired window and saw a creature climbing on the fence, with a white coat, four long legs, and a flowing white tail with a muzzle on its face, like Senka’s, but more… flat. It turned to the coop and snarling, its amber eyes flashing in the distance. It got down from the fence and began prowling toward us.

Well, I'm really BORED so I'm just going to put more on here anyway

A low growl and then a fury of snarls and barks explodes from the door of the humans coop. A black figure races out, baring its teeth and lashing at it.
Senka to the rescue!
Senka swiftly got to the white thing, close to the cage, and barked furiously at the white thing, and then scared the eggs out of it and ran it off.
It looked directly at me and snarled, its eyes just reading I’ll be back!
It brought back memories of Serenia.
The raccoon, braking into our cage and stealing Serenia, tearing her head off and devouring the soft, tender flesh, and I had to watch as her life was literally ripped to pieces. But the morning…
No. I wouldn’t start thinking about it now. Soft tears stained my face, ran down my beak and dripped onto the hay covered floor. The tears became steadier, suddenly becoming a flowing river and I was forced to cry myself to sleep.
I awoke in the morning with dry tears painted onto my face. My chest feathers were wet from crying all night last night. We had to wait until The Food Lady came and opened the door. I felt like crying again.
Stop the tears, I told myself. It was part of life. These things happen. We know you loved her, but you can pull through.
But then why does it hurt so badly?
The loss of her changed me, turned my heart upside down and sometimes I even threw up at night. That egg headed raccoon not only took Serenia, he took a part of me too. My throat started to burn, and I could feel the tears crashing in my eyes, like waves thrashing around and struggling to get to shore. No… no tears.
“Amulet?” Pepper came over. “You haven’t eaten.” Pepper dropped a few pellets at my feet.
“I’m fine.” I tried to stop my voice from wobbling, but failed.
“It’s okay.” Pepper wrapped a wing around me and I leaned my head into her soft chest feathers and cried. “Everything will be okay.” Her voice shook; she was obviously thinking exactly what I was. I slowly watched as one tear fell from my eye, ran down the side of my face and hit the hard ground.
Oh, how could it get any worse?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WISHES GRANTED!

The next day a cool breeze was flowing through the air. The Food Lady came and let us out for free-range time. I walked over to the ‘garage’ or, the detached parts of the humans coop, and saw a narrow space between a fence and the garage. I looked in it, and saw a tunnel, covered with greens, so no predator could see us.
“PEPPER! PEPPER PEPPER PEPPER PEPPER!!!!” I yelled.
“WHAT?” She screamed.
“Look!”
“Oh, wow, Wyandotte’s ghost, Amulet, I thought some raccoon was chasing you and-“
“Don’t even start!!!!” I covered my ears.
“Do you think we can go in?”
“There isn’t any barrier to stop us. I guess we can.” Pepper thought it over.
“Okay!” I chimed. I walked in, and it was heaven on Earth! It was beautiful! We spent the whole day in there! It was shady and warm, the sun hitting in the exact places we dustbathed, we slept, it was gorgeous.
The sun began to dip down below the trees, not quite dark yet. The Food Lady put us in our cage.
“SCREE!” I heard from the skies. I looked up.
“Pepper!” I crowed.
“What?!” She perked right up.
“We need to get in the coop! There’s a predator!”
“A hawk?”
“Go!” I screamed. Since our cage had no roof, we were open to sky predators. It began to lower and lower… until…
“RUFF RUFF RUFF!!!!” Senka barked. It seemed as if they were there at the best moments!
“Go get it, Senka!” The Food Lady cheered. As it was lifting, Senka jumped and tore off a talon. It flew off, and screeched “I won’t come back, I swear!” The blood from its missing talon spurted into the air, then evaporated as it reached the ground. It reminded me of the way Serenia’s blood was scattered.
Get a grip, Amulet!
How could I, when life was already filled with sadness?

Back
Top Bottom