Feathers everywhere....

LindsaySinai

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
San Diego
I have 3 mutt chickens that are 11 1/2 weeks old. They look pretty skinny but I think I'm just used to my full grown hens that are so plump. My main concern is that they're are feathers everywhere. I clean them out and the next day there's a ton. Could there be something wrong with them? I dont remember my other babies "shedding" so much. And they're not fighting or anything like that to cause the feathers to come out.

Pick them up and inspect them closely for lice/mites. Could be feather lice. If it's either lice/mites, dust them with sevin dust. Redust them in again in 10 days. Dust their house, repeat in 10 days also.

When some of my chicks shed their baby feathers, sometimes it is so heavy that it looks like a predator attack! Just be sure they are getting enough protein. I free feed Purina flockraiser and throw a handful of whole oats and black oil sunflower seeds to mine every morning. Good luck
smile.png

Quote:
x2 I agree but I'd go easy on the extra protein, too much protein can cause gout when they get older.

Both these responses make me feel better. I was hoping that was the case but I didnt remember that with my others...but I could have easily forgotten.

Quote:
x2 I agree but I'd go easy on the extra protein, too much protein can cause gout when they get older.

Both these responses make me feel better. I was hoping that was the case but I didnt remember that with my others...but I could have easily forgotten.

I'm glad it helped
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom