1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feathers

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Glenmar, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Anyone make Christmas ornaments or jewelry from their feathers?
    Here's a pair of earrings I made.

[​IMG]

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't personally, but I have friends who love jewelry making and have laid claim to any and all colored feathers my birds drop. Those earrings are beautiful! Do you make them just for fun or do you sell them? I bet Etsy folk would love them [​IMG]

3. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    This was acutally my first pair that I have ever made. (just a few minutes ago).
    I was thinking of selling them for $5 a pair.

4. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Cheap! But if they were easy to make, then I bet they would sell. Do you have a pic showing how large they are? If you get them put into an etsy shop or someplace, let me know [​IMG] I will happily repost the link and see if we can get you some sales! I can't wear earrings larger than pinheads due to the way they pierced my ears when I was a kid, sadly, but I know plenty of people who do.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks. Do you think people would buy these for $5 vs a whole feather for $1?
    I am going to a Harvest Fest in the fall, and I was going to have a table there.

6. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Yes, I think so. Most people don't know how to make jewelry, nor do they have the tools or the motivation to try. You could also try making stuff from the little neck feathers or the scaled feathers on their backs- and don't underestimate the wing feathers if you can find them in nice condition. Artists use them to paint on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. There a chick...

There a chick... Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    West Michigan
    Very pretty! [​IMG] $5 is a good deal!

8. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    I don't think you'll have any trouble selling them at $5 a pair...i'd buy a pair for that price! [​IMG] Others I have seen (similar) are at minimum double that price. Can't say what sales are for others but I can say I'd spend $5 on a pair. I'd actually love to see more in colors besides just IB though. Usually those are the only ones you can find, unless you want white ones that have been dyed (not for me but others may like those).

Nice job! [​IMG]

if you'd like to work out a trade, I could send you some other color feathers in exchange for a pair. PM me if you are interested.

9. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Quote:Wow those are beautiful. I wish I was that artistic.

10. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Good idea on the colors! *fluffs* I wish I could wear them, I'd love an opal set >[​IMG] Can you imagine them in bronze? Maybe some from the bronze-turning white boy ^_^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by