February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I ordered eggs for January send/set date, with a February hatch date. This is a way off, but I thought I would put this tread up for people planning to hatch eggs in Feb. I decided to hatch because it was hard to get all these chicks I wanted shipped at the same time. Some were not available and some were pricier as a chick. I know eggs will be 1/2 roosters. I am okay with that. And I enjoy hatching. I have hatched many eggs in the past local and shipped. (Incubators foam, 2, Little Giant, with turner, for the first 18 days, dry hatch -but natrually 50%, works best for me, moving to a farm innovators for the hatching, still air, I will bring the humidity up to 60% or so.)

I plan on posting photos and my steps,

BCM-Dark brown eggs
Frizzle EE-green/blue eggs
blue orpington-tan eggs
olive egger-dark green eggs
lavender orpington split to black.-tan eggs
Blue andelusian-white eggs

I am interested in other people who may be hatching shipped eggs during a similar time, or their own, or if you want to join the watch.

I ordered eggs one state over earlier this month. When shipped they took one day but in 20 degree weather. They packed theme with a lot of newspaper- (removed for this pic)
IMG_4685.JPG

Plus wrapped in bubble. The were not that cold when they came. I am glad they came when they did, the next day the night was 6 degrees.
IMG_4686.JPG

the were covered with tissues. When shipped they were in my hands with in 16 hrs. Their due date is Dec. 9.
So why did I order from Meyers? Because they have eggs the lady above could not offer.
Below is how the Meyers come packaged. They may have to come through more cold, and take about 3 days to get to me. They do have a lot of cushion.
IMG_2442.JPG

Hopefully that will keep them warm enough too. That time of year it could be mild or really cold.

My white rock rooster will be 5-almost 6 months next month. (Not my choice, but it is what I have. he seems like a nice guy). I will be getting shipped eggs on the 19th of Jan. If he is fertilizing I will set these hen's with my shipped eggs...if they are laying...
Frizzle/NN she lays a large green egg
frizma.PNG

This EE/LO lays a tan egg
po29.PNG

Below is a steel egger, blue green eggs. Not currently laying...but maybe...
po2.PNG

This black frizzle is the daughter of my gray frizzle she lays a dark gray egg.
po26.PNG

Mom below. If her babies could look like this...!POP!
gadeo.PNG

Maybe a brown NN/EE blue eggs
po16.PNG

Last edited:
My white rock rooster will be 5-almost 6 months next month. (Not my choice, but it is what I have. he seems like a nice guy). I will be getting shipped eggs on the 19th of Jan. If he is fertilizing I will set these hen's with my shipped eggs...if they are laying...
Frizzle/NN she lays a large green egg
View attachment 3340092
This EE/LO lays a tan egg
View attachment 3340094
Below is a steel egger, blue green eggs. Not currently laying...but maybe...
View attachment 3340095
This black frizzle is the daughter of my gray frizzle she lays a dark gray egg.
View attachment 3340096
Mom below. If her babies could look like this...!POP!View attachment 3340099
Maybe a brown NN/EE blue eggs
View attachment 3340102
Beautiful lot! I haven’t seen a grey egg 👀

In a few days I'm going to start collecting some eggs from a group of girls and their new rooster. The pen has a mixture of egg colours but the rooster is a Cream Legbar so all their offspring will lay a shade of blue, green or olive. I'm really hoping some of the brown layers pass on their speckles to their daughters so I can have speckled green eggs in the future

Back
Top Bottom