February Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Tomorrow is hatch day for my 5 eggs that made it. I’m hopeful in maybe 4? One of them didn’t look so good when I candled it before lockdown. The eggs I have are: 1 EE, one olive, one Welsummer, and then 2 I’m not sure what breed of chicken they came from, but there’s a light almost white/light nude, and a light brown one. I’ll update once they start pipping.

Ah, I am feeling a little better. I thought my day count was right, but I looked at it again. Day 21 starts tonight at 7pm (I was a day off. Next time I am starting them in the morning to keep it simple). Praying for healthy chicks. When do you start warming up your brooder?

Ah, I am feeling a little better. I thought my day count was right, but I looked at it again. Day 21 starts tonight at 7pm (I was a day off. Next time I am starting them in the morning to keep it simple). Praying for healthy chicks. When do you start warming up your brooder?

I start heating up my brooder as soon as I see the first one hatch. That way it gives you time to get the temperature in it to where it should be at.

I have my brooder running all the time. Usually, I move the ones in the bedroom out to the shop brooders the day before hatch day. Then I clean it and set it up for hatch day. Until I am done hatching for the year the bedroom brooder and the shop brooders are always up and running.

You must hatch a bunch PenguinsCraft. Are you competing in the Easter hatch off? I'm tempted to get more eggs and be in it but really shouldn't unless this incubation is a bust.

Yes I tend to hatch a bunch. I sell some and others we grow out for meat r more eggs. I have not decided. I may just do some chickens for that one.

I usually start mine when the first one hatches, so it’s drying while the brooder is getting warm and prepared for the chicks. I don’t usually keep my chicks in for 24 hours though, I had an accident with chicks overheating.

Since I wanted them even before we bought the chickens we have, and to help relieve the stress of waiting for eggs to hatch (halfway through day 21), plus the brooder was already warm, and well, chicken math. We went to our local feed store and bought two chicks, a buff Orpington, and an EE (if it is true that was is being sold at feed stores are not Amaraucana, but are really ee.). Of course they are adorable and have their own personalities already. The BO was claimed by my son and named Bob the builder. The EE is my daughter's and named Baby Blue.
20190221_180511.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom