February Hatch-A-Long

I have some in the bator. Due to hatch Feb 2. Easter/olive Eggers, BCM, and a few White leghorn x BCM. In a still air Styrofoam incubator. All pullets' eggs. but they had started laying from July,2018 to Oct.2018. So hopefully long enough to have good eggs for hatching. The Marans didn't start laying until DEC. 4 & 6. so they haven't laid as long, but know they have been breeding. Eggs are to dark brown to candle, but candled others on day 8 and could see only 1 quitter. 34 eggs set. I collected eggs for 5 days and set them.
I am not fretting over them all the time like I did last year. I'll get what I get and then set some more for March hatch. I don't know how the BCM X white leghorns will do, but they should be pretty and maybe good layers next fall. :D Good luck everyone.
That's a good attitude to have!! Good luck with your hatch!

I don't think you need to worry about anything too much. I have been hatching eggs for many years and haven't done many of those things you mention. Never have I actually checked the humidity, and I always start with water in the tray. My incubator doesn't have a fan either and uses a heating wafer. Also, I don't understand how candling the eggs could help before putting them in the incubator because you can't see anything until they have been incubated for a couple of days(of course I could have simply misinterpreted what you said). Despite all of this, we have had great hatch rates, so good luck with hatching.

& thank you. That too, adds to my confidence.

I just lost two more CLB pullets that have been free ranging during the day. I was supposed to go to a meeting tomorrow, but after a class today, I will be staying home and finishing the pens so that they can get "locked up". Makes me sad, I won't be free ranging anymore, but I want eggs from my last 3 CLB girls so that I can hatch some for this year...

Edited to add - Larry is thinking (hoping?) that they both went off and are sitting on nests somewhere. We shall see if they show back up, but so far the CLB's of either production or show lines have shown no interest in setting on any nests.... They both are/would be 13 months old today... :(

Last edited:
& thank you. That too, adds to my confidence.

I just lost two more CLB pullets that have been free ranging during the day. I was supposed to go to a meeting tomorrow, but after a class today, I will be staying home and finishing the pens so that they can get "locked up". Makes me sad, I won't be free ranging anymore, but I want eggs from my last 3 CLB girls so that I can hatch some for this year...

Edited to add - Larry is thinking (hoping?) that they both went off and are sitting on nests somewhere. We shall see if they show back up, but so far the CLB's of either production or show lines have shown no interest in setting on any nests.... They both are/would be 13 months old today... :(

I'm hoping for you! both for the 2 girls and for a great CLB hatch..

I don't find that funny at all!! I am a retired rural carrier, and loved my customers! I would go out of my way for any of them, in return they were very loyal to me and I made lifelong friends. I hate to hear stories of people like that in the postal service, unfortunately I know they exist:mad:
I think my grandfather would agree with you. He was a postal carrier for a long time and was friendly with all his customers. In fact, he still remembers many of the people he served as well as where they live even though he's been retired for quite some time.
& thank you. That too, adds to my confidence
Anything to help ease your conscious.

How do you do staggered hatches?

I am planning on ordering another 'bator. Probably going to stick with the same company - but go to the Genesis 1588... For now, I'm thinking I'll do just the two 'bators. Later, I might do a third, but totally not sure at the moment.
I just add another group of eggs every few days, to keep track of them I put the date they go in written on the side of the eggs. On lockdown day I just move them into the second incubator which I run without turning trays and humidity around 65% hardest part is having enough brooders to move new chicks to until they are big enough to mix. My hatch rate has been very low because my old rooster must be infertile but starting to improve now I bought some new duccles who are producing fertile eggs every second day. I have a third incubator I wanted to use for my guinea fowls but the temp isn't holding in it so they are in with the other eggs only a problem because of the different incubation time frame when going into lockdown.

I have 12 black copper Maran eggs, Swedish flower eggs and cream leg bars in the incubator due to hatch February 4th. I’ll be expecting show quality silkie eggs and polish eggs in the next week or two.
Are the Black Cooper Marans your own eggs or did you purchase them? Thats my next eggs to get and try incubating? They are the deep chocolate eggs correct?

Oh, I'd like to join in, I have a mixed batch of quail eggs coming in the mail. I'm in the south so we're not in the freezing digits here and they're driving down even as I type.

My first set of quails and my first time trying to hatch anything. Not my first time with chicks though so I have a tiny bit of experience if I can get them out of the eggs! :D

Back
Top Bottom