February Hatch-A-Long

There is another breeder in my state, but our entire state is in the double negatives for the next week.

Temperature aside, if possible, make the drive to get the eggs. Better than the mail where packages are just another object and are not cared for.

Eggs can take quite a bit of abuse before the air cell is broken or the egg is scrambled. When my family moved here, TN, from WI we had a broody in the van brooding eggs. It was not an easy drive. We stopped at relatives, got lost, had a near accident, and drove through severe storms. At one point we hit a bump and everything in the car was tossed around. One egg was lost. After arriving in TN and our new home the hen hatched all the remaining eggs. Makes a person wonder what the post office does that ruins so many shipped eggs.

Temperature aside, if possible, make the drive to get the eggs. Better than the mail where packages are just another object and are not cared for.

Eggs can take quite a bit of abuse before the air cell is broken or the egg is scrambled. When my family moved here, TN, from WI we had a broody in the van brooding eggs. It was not a easy drive. We stopped at relatives, got lost, had a near accident, and drove through severe storms. At one point we hit a bump and everything in the car was tossed around. One egg was lost. After arriving in TN and our new home the hen hatched all the remaining eggs. Makes a person wonder what the post office does the ruins so many shipped eggs.
Hey, I'm in WI :)

I've seen that PO staff literally throw packages. And ignore arrows.

Many years ago I had an older brother and aunt who worked at a post office. They laughed about taking packages with fragile items and throwing, shaking, dropping them.
I never saw how they thought their actions were funny.

will be setting 60 quail eggs tomorrow for valentine’s hatch....so glad that you decided to start a new hatch thread!! I’ve had great success with hatching so far but unfortunately my survival rate with quail desperately needs improvement! I removed 1 of my issues yesterday by culling my handicapped silkie that was injuring the babies in the brooder, but I still lost another baby last night. that leaves me at 10 survivors of 18 hatched.

Many years ago I had an older brother and aunt who worked at a post office. They laughed about taking packages with fragile items and throwing, shaking, dropping them.
I never saw how they thought their actions were funny.
I don't find that funny at all!! I am a retired rural carrier, and loved my customers! I would go out of my way for any of them, in return they were very loyal to me and I made lifelong friends. I hate to hear stories of people like that in the postal service, unfortunately I know they exist:mad:

I don't find that funny at all!! I am a retired rural carrier, and loved my customers! I would go out of my way for any of them, in return they were very loyal to me and I made lifelong friends. I hate to hear stories of people like that in the postal service, unfortunately I know they exist:mad:
I wish there were more people like you in the postal system. As I remember the packaged eggs I've received in the mail, It's obvious that there still are workers like my brother and aunt. Thankfully my relatives no longer work as postal employees.

Thankfully I have gotten eggs through the mail that came in great shape and many of those eggs hatched. So there are workers that believe as you and do what's necessary for eggs to arrive safely.

will be setting 60 quail eggs tomorrow for valentine’s hatch....so glad that you decided to start a new hatch thread!! I’ve had great success with hatching so far but unfortunately my survival rate with quail desperately needs improvement! I removed 1 of my issues yesterday by culling my handicapped silkie that was injuring the babies in the brooder, but I still lost another baby last night. that leaves me at 10 survivors of 18 hatched.
What are you feeding the breeders?

Twice last summer I had a Japanese quail hen hatch ten chicks. I fed them a mixture of boiled egg, dried meal worms, and mash. All twenty chicks grew to maturity. Some people doubt that I had a quail actually brood and raise chicks. The hen hatched the chicks in an outside pen. I brought the family into the house to keep them safe.
quail family.jpg

Back
Top Bottom