February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Hello! Jumping in here because why not?! I just wanted a few more silver Deathlayers since my last shipped dozen was a bust and I only have 2 hens... I found some a few hours drive from here, and the very nice lady threw in a bunch of others for free! Soooo.. I just set:
12 Silver Deathlayers
3 Crested Cream Legbars
3 Ayam Cemani
3 Swedish Flower Hens

I’m at 48hrs almost exactly and figured I’d peek at an egg or two. Still don’t have much familiarity with what I’m looking for but this is what I saw. Has two dark little dots in these light colored eggs, another egg has just one dot. Summary, my first hatch and first time incubating eggs and first time everything chicken related.

Thoughts anyone?

It was only day 3 for my batch yesterday but I peeked at them last night :oops: Looks like at least 4 are developing, maybe 5, but I'll hold off on full judgement until day 7 at least. 😁

5E13AAA0-517E-49FF-A848-C911DCE7B4EE.jpeg
DF0A473C-C00F-4B48-9B07-4E168E035403.jpeg

I’m at 48hrs almost exactly and figured I’d peek at an egg or two. Still don’t have much familiarity with what I’m looking for but this is what I saw. Has two dark little dots in these light colored eggs, another egg has just one dot. Summary, my first hatch and first time incubating eggs and first time everything chicken related.

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 2509860View attachment 2509863
I have been able to see earliest on day 3, (72 hours) very faint red unorganized squiggles. I usually candle day 4, then starts to look like spider veins.😊

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 2509860View attachment 2509863
That early it’s going to be really hard to tell. I don’t usually see much until day 4 or so, and don’t make any calls until day 7.

iss.PNG

I was looking at the letters on my eggs and Fox fire has a decoder on her Ebay page. The tan egg was the only confusing egg. First it looked like a "P" then it looked like a smudged "f" the decoder had a "PO" but not just a "P". Then I looked at an updated decoder of hers and a "P" is a pita pinta chicken so I am hoping for one of those. It is new for her.
isa.PNG

I ordered some potluck eggs from Foxfire Farms in ID (One state over, 4 hrs away. )She has pure, separate pen chicks and a potluck is diff eggs that are pures. (Like a sampler.) I will post when the eggs come.
I have 16 in a Generic incubator - from N Idaho FoxFireFarms Poultry Purebred Potluck special also! Do let her know if you have a Wish List. Anyone else set for a GroundHogs Day hatch?

Attachments

• 20210115_HatchDay1.jpg
    20210115_HatchDay1.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 2509932
I was looking at the letters on my eggs and Fox fire has a decoder on her Ebay page. The tan egg was the only confusing egg. First it looked like a "P" then it looked like a smudged "f" the decoder had a "PO" but not just a "P". Then I looked at an updated decoder of hers and a "P" is a pita pinta chicken so I am hoping for one of those. It is new for her.
View attachment 2509933
Some of the codes are posted in my thread First Hatch. Looks like you have Crested Cream Legbars, Isbar, Mosaic, as i do...and Barbazonnes, and a couple breeds i didn't get.

Of 18 received i had to remove 2, and am giving a couple more a few more days to evaluate. Amazed at how air cells recovered after shipping - so far. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom