February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
So exciting! Fluff nugget photos are required!🥰
First four fluffy butts.....3 from the golden sebright hen and one from a silkie hen.
PXL_20210201_021231502.jpg

thanks, I had considered the spots might be blood/meat spots. But I’ve learned to ask open ended questions when it’s not something I have familiarity. And this I am definitely not familiar with yet LOL.

It looks like you have small meat or blood spots in those eggs. Usually you don’t see too much until day 3, and then it’s usually a small circle with light veining and a little blob. Here is from a day 4 egg from this batch.
I was going to say those looked like meat spots too, at 2 days, you would see just a round dot the size of a pencil eraser head that was reddish clear, not a dark tiny spot.

I have a question. I have eggs at the post office that were sitting there all day sunday (since it's closed), tomorrow I'm picking them up around noon and will unpack them get settled to room temperature. Do y'all think I should still let them sit for 12-24hrs before putting them in the incubator? I just think, they've already been sitting at the post office for over 24hrs...it'll be like close to 48hrs when I go pick them up.

Hi we have a new member with a squashed egg that’s about to hatch. I only know hatching under a broody, so can’t advise about switching the egg from the broody to a makeshift incubator. Any of you incubator experts want to take a look at that thread? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom