February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Well first hatch is done, lost 5 fully developed chicks :( one hatched with body parts outside of navel, one was malpositioned, one didn't absorb yolk died in egg and the rest were hard to say :( I always candle when I have late hatchers compared to rest to ensure movement and when I don't see movement...I investigate. (When I am going to be popping chicks out after they are dried off and nobody has pipped)

I think I am going to have to recalibrate my thermometer. I attempted a "dry hatch" at 30% humidity and I heard such great reviews...but I am wondering if my thermometer was off and that is what caused the low hatch rate/early hatchers. All that hatched were out by day 21. So I am wondering if I had high temps.

For my second hatch in a week I have adjusted temps and hopefully will be more successful.

To end on a happier note...here is my hatching/chicken duty assistant ! I don't know why it uploads this way sorry xD

View attachment 2513741
So sorry your hatch turned out that way.
I always dry incubate and have never had any issues. I think you are probably right about the temp. Likely will be better this next time! Love your assistant! 😊

I incubate and hatch them upright in cut down cardboard egg cartons. Hand turn, too.😊
Can you get a photo of the egg?
I actually cut some baby socks and made little "rings" where I put the eggs on and it's been staying upright but since it's upright the embryo is floating to the top where the saddled air cell and I feel like it's glued to it somehow. I will try to get a video if I can. Thank you! I have an incubator for normal eggs and the other for all the detached air cells I got.

First baby out
1612334198026.png

Back
Top Bottom