February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
I started my first hatch ever this morning. February 11 is my day. I borrowed a friend’s incubator. It holds 41 but I stayed with a nice 14 to start off. I hope it goes well. I borrowed instead of buying one just in case it’s a nightmare and I decide I never want to do it again. I doubt that happens though.

It's summer time where I am and I'm incubating some of my girls eggs (most will be crosses). They are due to hatch on the 2nd February. A lot of our girls are around 6-7 years old now so now that we finally have a lovely little cockerel I wanted to hatch some of their eggs as most have been very good little layers. We mostly have bantams but there are a few big girls eggs in the mix as well. I'm excited to see what hatches.

I started my first hatch ever this morning. February 11 is my day. I borrowed a friend’s incubator. It holds 41 but I stayed with a nice 14 to start off. I hope it goes well. I borrowed instead of buying one just in case it’s a nightmare and I decide I never want to do it again. I doubt that happens though.
What are you hatching?😊

*Dramatic sigh* After following a hatching thread, I'm desperate to hatch but 1, I'd need to figure out what to do with any cockerels (do bachelor coops still work if they can see the hens?), 2, I'd need to find an incubator and some eggs, 3, my parents would never agree to it, and 4, I'd need to build/buy another coop (it would probably need to be small as our yard is small and my parents would never agree to buying anything bigger after spending over $800 on our last coop). Hmmm... I have around $200 saved up... maybe that could buy me some eggs (I'd only want about 7 or so) and possibly an incubator a well. It would be slightly tight but I probably could fit another 3 chickens into my coop without it being too small. I'd need another nesting box though: maybe a cat litter box? Or I could add on another small, almost "rabbit hutch" coop and somehow connect the runs for max space...

Keep in mind, this is purely hypothetical and I'd first need to get my parents on board ;)

(sorry, really long rant that is probably a pointless waste of everyone's time. But that's what I'm best at!

Back
Top Bottom