February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
This incubator is the worst for photos but im up to 10 chicks. Two eggs remaining, last Cream Legbar and the Marans
20210203_202207.jpg 20210203_202205.jpg 20210203_202119.jpg

Down to 10 fertile and developing silkie eggs after pulling the clears. I have a few more that are too early to tell. One of my polish eggs snuck in some how and is developing, and I also placed my last Ameraucana egg from the bird I sold in as well. These last two will be silkie crosses.
I have 8 shipped silkie eggs expected on Saturday. Will have to see how best to utilize the incubators.😊

This incubator is the worst for photos but im up to 10 chicks. Two eggs remaining, last Cream Legbar and the Marans

Gorgeous babies, we are up to 4 out of the eggs so far and more pips on the way. 27 eggs total and three from a broody in the barn that gave up when the temps dipped way below zero that I am pretty sure were not alive when I put them in but I was sad and wanted to give them the chance if they were still there. I count at least 7 new pips so far but with the 4 hooligans already out playing soccer with the eggs there are probably more than that.
Totally get what you mean about not easy to take pictures through lol. If they move away from the camera I'll get a snapshot of them that way but they love it sooo much.

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_080343858[1].jpg
    IMG_20210203_080343858[1].jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210203_080331134[1].jpg
    IMG_20210203_080331134[1].jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 7
2 Farm innovations 4250 incubators going with 32 in one and 33 in the other. Trying a wet/dry experiment so have pairs of eggs in the same "spot" on the egg turner to see if any crazy results v/s the other.
Have to have temp up a bit on the display since seems to be off a bit, in basement
Humidity trying for between 20-35% on the "dry one" and 35 - 55% on the wet one

Mix of AC, RIR, Coocoo, white leghorns ,EE, FBCM, barred rock

2 Farm innovations 4250 incubators going with 32 in one and 33 in the other. Trying a wet/dry experiment so have pairs of eggs in the same "spot" on the egg turner to see if any crazy results v/s the other.
Have to have temp up a bit on the display since seems to be off a bit, in basement
Humidity trying for between 20-35% on the "dry one" and 35 - 55% on the wet one

Mix of AC, RIR, Coocoo, white leghorns ,EE, FBCM, barred rock
Very cool experiment let us know how it goes. I did all dry for this batch up until day 18 then added enough water to bring it up to 45 and once they started hatching they brought it up the rest of the way. I have two Hovabator Genesis incubators. Both digital displays are off quite a bit but I run three thermometers in the incubator plus calibrate it before I start a run of eggs.

In the final week for my MPC eggs: 3 mystery eggs and a bantam. Eggs are getting a little crowded for the chicks, but I still spotted some movement.

This morning I added three eggs that were from cartons of eating eggs, but theoretically may be fertile (from a local farm with mixed flock). If anything develops, the hatch day will be around the 24th.

Very cool experiment let us know how it goes. I did all dry for this batch up until day 18 then added enough water to bring it up to 45 and once they started hatching they brought it up the rest of the way. I have two Hovabator Genesis incubators. Both digital displays are off quite a bit but I run three thermometers in the incubator plus calibrate it before I start a run of eggs.

Yes, def hard to know which display to trust lol! I have 3 in the one and just trying to do an avg and also using temp gun lol! Hope I don't cook omelets!

I was going to do no water at all on one, but kinda scared to go that route at first, so just adding a little water to keep above 20%

My last eggs for this year are arriving tomorrow. That should make it an even 24 eggs I will try incubating. Some are already developing, the furthest is on day 14 but at this point the egg has gone too dark to see anything candling so I am hoping for the best.
12 cuckoo dutch bantams and 12 golden partridge dutch bantams. First time with bantams, my smallest egg weighs just 21 grams!

trying to maintain 55% humidity

I’ve got 2 eggs due on Saturday, and 3 next week. The first 3 of my staggered hatch are doing great from this weekend. :p and here I was just going to check fertility and set a couple. Oops. I have restrained myself from setting more though. Maybe when the ducks start laying next month. 🤣
All of my ordered eggs are coming later. April 12, and May 25. So I guess I need to make sure to fill the incubators with my own flock’s eggs til then, to make sure they’re running properly, right?

Got Pips? Zips? Peeps?

All are out! I lost 5 hatched 9 healthy- minus one curly foot thats tapped up. I put some poly-visol in their water as well so hopefully the riboflavin will help the little fella out as well.

I see 5 mottled orpington and 4 opal legbars :D

tempImage17jF1i.png

Next up is my mixed pack on Feb 9th, the only ones I can't tell is two BCM- I can't even see an air cell the eggs are so speckled and dark. I have calibrated my hygrometer and it was only 2% higher. Now I have both thermometer/hyrgometers in my incubator to see how the compare

Back
Top Bottom