Fed chickens a snake

The digestive juices will break down any venom ... the roadrunner bird will actually attack the rattlesnake, kill it and eat it ... I doubt it cuts off the head and buries it so other critters won't be injured ... pigs will also eat rattlesnakes ... head and all.

I have eaten the western diamond back rattlesnake (coon tail) that I've cooked myself ... I'm still kickin' but I did not eat the head ... ;)

Mad cow disease is from mammals eating other mammals brains ...

There is not a direct connection from your chickens digestive tract, to its egg factory ... your eggs are fine to eat.

The reasoning behind the "cut off the head, and bury it" mantra ... is a pit viper like a rattlesnake can still "strike" and inject venom hours after it is "dead" ... cutting off the head insures it is "dead", but it can still strike if it has its body left ... normal "strike range" is half its body length ... so cutting of it's head reduces it's reach/range ... but it can still open its mouth, and sink it's fangs on your finger (if your stupid enough to tempt it!) Or your dog goes up to sniff it ... so ... bury it!

Usually 12-24 hours later, it is no danger ... and the bugs and worms get a nice meal too! :)

That was why we ditched the hopping head. The cut up snake segments were still hopping about, not entirely from being fried in hot grease, but those don't have fangs that could still pump venom into you.

Did anyone mention that there is very little meat on a snake? Ain't worth the bother of cooking it. Let the chickens have it, although my pampered darlings are afraid of snakes, dead or alive. I've run both versions by the flock, and the consensus was, no way are we going to touch that thing!

Even if the head is not thrashing around (i.e., "striking"), if you pick it up or even get near enough to it to scratch your finger or any other body part on the fang, you are in danger of injecting yourself with the venom. Cut off the head with a shovel or other handy implement, dig a deep hole and, using said shovel, shove it into the hole and bury it.

Back
Top Bottom