FEED? all in one ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarredRockGirls, Mar 24, 2013.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    ok my pekins come in 7 days! im soooo excited EEEEEEK!!

heres my question ...... what feed should i get for duck babies ?

( by the time the duckies get here ) i'll have 4 week old layer chicks . that ALSO need another bag of feed ....

what can i buy that will feed both ? or do i have to buy separate?

and the Niacin ? if its NOT chick starter( which i know doesnt have enough) do i still have to supplement for the ducks?

i give ACV to my chicks in their water ...is that ok for my new ducks too or no ?

thank you so much!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Babies, babies, babies!

ACV is fine for ducklings. Just don't use those galvanized waterers. I don't think you do . . . .

You could stick with chick starter and add niacin for the ducklings, some folks here feed Flock Raiser (I think that's what it's called). I fed turkey-waterfowl starter crumbles, mixed four parts crumbles to one part chopped rolled oats (not instant).

Remember the head washer for the ducklings.

And keep us posted!

3. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks for your reply! And yes I have all plastic feeders and waters so no problem there ;)
    The chick starter I have now is medicated .. But I've been bringing in soil from our yard and letting my chicks play in it and such so I don't think by the time they eat this bag up they'll need the medicated feed anymore . Thank goodness - I know ducks really shouldn't be on that .
    If I feed flock raiser .. Do I switch at laying age then like w the starter /grower?

Thanks !

4. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    O and I already have some milk jugs ready ... Just waiting on the ducks !

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I use Purina Flock Raiser.

6. EJPedrazzi

EJPedrazzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Salinas, CA
    While we're on this topic I also have a question - for my 2 and a bit week old duckling, would flock raiser be enough, or would she also need niacin in the water as well?

7. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I've never supplimented niacin while on flock raiser. The only time I added niacin was last year before I found flock raiser.

8. EJPedrazzi

EJPedrazzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Salinas, CA
    Ok thank you! I'll buy some today and switch out. I'm also picking up another little duckling next week from Metzer Farms and I'm curious as to what they feed their ducks. I've had ducks from them before who were super healthy and strong, my little runt (I say that with tons of love of course!) who I have now is a TSC baby and I can definitely tell the difference...... It may just be an isolated case but it seems Metzer just raises fantastic ducks. Glad I only live a few miles from them!! [​IMG]

9. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I also use flockraiser for my ducklings and goslings without adding extra niacin. For my chicks I am using medicated chick starter and will switch them to flockraiser when they are 6 weeks. It is a pain to buy separate feeds but the best start you can give them the better. Everyone gets some apple cider vinegar in the water for the first few days. My adults get a mixture of flockraiser and layer crumble and free choice oyster shell.

10. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    i think thats what im going to do .my chicks will be 4 weeks when my ducklings get here . they should be ok on FR right ? then when they start laying i switch all of them to layer feed ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by