FEED? all in one ?

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
ok my pekins come in 7 days! im soooo excited EEEEEEK!!

heres my question ...... what feed should i get for duck babies ?

( by the time the duckies get here ) i'll have 4 week old layer chicks . that ALSO need another bag of feed ....

what can i buy that will feed both ? or do i have to buy separate?

and the Niacin ? if its NOT chick starter( which i know doesnt have enough) do i still have to supplement for the ducks?

i give ACV to my chicks in their water ...is that ok for my new ducks too or no ?

thank you so much!

wee.gif

Babies, babies, babies!

ACV is fine for ducklings. Just don't use those galvanized waterers. I don't think you do . . . .

You could stick with chick starter and add niacin for the ducklings, some folks here feed Flock Raiser (I think that's what it's called). I fed turkey-waterfowl starter crumbles, mixed four parts crumbles to one part chopped rolled oats (not instant).

Remember the head washer for the ducklings.

And keep us posted!

:weee
Babies, babies, babies!

ACV is fine for ducklings.  Just don't use those galvanized waterers.  I don't think you do . . . .

You could stick with chick starter and add niacin for the ducklings,  some folks here feed Flock Raiser (I think that's what it's called).  I fed turkey-waterfowl starter crumbles, mixed four parts crumbles to one part chopped rolled oats (not instant).

Remember the head washer for the ducklings.

And keep us posted!

Thanks for your reply! And yes I have all plastic feeders and waters so no problem there ;)
The chick starter I have now is medicated .. But I've been bringing in soil from our yard and letting my chicks play in it and such so I don't think by the time they eat this bag up they'll need the medicated feed anymore . Thank goodness - I know ducks really shouldn't be on that .
If I feed flock raiser .. Do I switch at laying age then like w the starter /grower?

Thanks !

While we're on this topic I also have a question - for my 2 and a bit week old duckling, would flock raiser be enough, or would she also need niacin in the water as well?

While we're on this topic I also have a question - for my 2 and a bit week old duckling, would flock raiser be enough, or would she also need niacin in the water as well?
I've never supplimented niacin while on flock raiser. The only time I added niacin was last year before I found flock raiser.

Ok thank you! I'll buy some today and switch out. I'm also picking up another little duckling next week from Metzer Farms and I'm curious as to what they feed their ducks. I've had ducks from them before who were super healthy and strong, my little runt (I say that with tons of love of course!) who I have now is a TSC baby and I can definitely tell the difference...... It may just be an isolated case but it seems Metzer just raises fantastic ducks. Glad I only live a few miles from them!!
jumpy.gif

I also use flockraiser for my ducklings and goslings without adding extra niacin. For my chicks I am using medicated chick starter and will switch them to flockraiser when they are 6 weeks. It is a pain to buy separate feeds but the best start you can give them the better. Everyone gets some apple cider vinegar in the water for the first few days. My adults get a mixture of flockraiser and layer crumble and free choice oyster shell.

I also use flockraiser for my ducklings and goslings without adding extra niacin. For my chicks I am using medicated chick starter and will switch them to flockraiser when they are 6 weeks. It is a pain to buy separate feeds but the best start you can give them the better. Everyone gets some apple cider vinegar in the water for the first few days. My adults get a mixture of flockraiser and layer crumble and free choice oyster shell.
i think thats what im going to do .my chicks will be 4 weeks when my ducklings get here . they should be ok on FR right ? then when they start laying i switch all of them to layer feed ?

Back
Top Bottom