Feed and water inside small coop?

Bylawevader

Chirping
Apr 8, 2020
Hi all,

I have four lovely hens that I've taken on. I was wondering if I should keep a small feed bowl inside their coop with some water over night? Currently, I have an automatic water and feed system set up in the run, but nothing inside their little home.

Regards,

Hi all,

I have four lovely hens that I've taken on. I was wondering if I should keep a small feed bowl inside their coop with some water over night? Currently, I have an automatic water and feed system set up in the run, but nothing inside their little home.

Regards,
Chickens at roost do not eat or drink. This means that during the overnight hours they do not need access to food and water. You can quite safely confine them at night away from the feed and water provided you release them in the morning or if you're not going to close the co-op they will simply enter and exit at the appropriate times to access food and water that is outside of the co-op

Depends on the situation, your setup, the climate, weather and other factors. Would keeping water and feed in your coop cause cowding? Increase the humidity? Chickens don't eat at night, so feed not really needed if you let them out early. But you need to keep the feed dry and not let it attract vermin. We have a large coop and a no-spill feeder so we keep the feed in the coop but the water out. Everyone finds what works for them.

As long as you let them out of the coop at daybreak, feed and water isn't necessary inside coop.

Of course if you have lights inside coop that comes on before daybreak, or you sleep late and don't have an auto pop-door, then feed and water should be available inside. GC
Thanks for this. I get up around 5:30 on weekdays to let them out, and 7:00 on weekends to let them out. They seem to be doing fine at the moment. I think I'll need to look at building an autopop door maybe off a timer. Fun times!

Hi all,

Regards,

Also, they will tip over a small feed bowl and poop in it. They need a proper feed dispenser. Look on line for some examples of a chicken feeder. Good luck and enjoy your birds! 😊

Edit: oops, sorry, I see you have one in your run!

Good to know, we are moving 3 of our chickens outside tonight and into their enclosed coop overnight. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't harm them by not having food/water inside where they are sleeping

Good to know, we are moving 3 of our chickens outside tonight and into their enclosed coop overnight. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't harm them by not having food/water inside where they are sleeping

Nope, they'll be fine, they don't eat or drink or night. Just need to open them up in the morning so they can eat and drink. Good idea to put the feed up at night someplace where varmints aren't attracted to it, though.

Back
Top Bottom