Feed and water tricks

MamaHutch06

Songster
13 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
I am looking for some ideas...Hopefully with things I already have at my house. I have my feed and waterer on the floor in the coop...as you probably know they get filled with shavings and the water dries up. I have tried to place them on pieces of wood and they get knocked off...Just wandering if anybody has any ideas of what I could do/use to fix this

If you only have walls & no top, I can think of 2 options. You can lay a length of 2x4 across the top & hang the feeder & waterer from that. Or you can get 2 L-brackets that are used for shelving and hang 1 feeder & 1 waterer from those. However, those are not too strong & may bend, depending on the size of your feeder & waterer.

I use concrete blocks a lot inside the coop for putting waterers on. For bantams who can't reach, I provide another concrete block next to it.

Another thing I use a lot is pallets. I like to put waterers on small pallets.

I like to hang feeders (or put them on the floor) inside those black rubber tubs to catch the waste.

Hanging is best, I think. I have bungy corded a waterer to a cinder block. The silly waterer could not hang.
hmm.png

Thought it would be worth mentioning that using bucket waterers with drinking nipples has proven to be my saving grace. Absolutely the greatest thing I have done to keep the water very clean. You could build a tripod of wood or PVC to hang it by.

I put my small plastic waterers that I use in my brooders in a cool whip bottom which raises them above the wood chips.(In the summer of course!)

W put the water-ers and feeders up with plant hanger things...We had to turn them slightly so that we can get the dishes on and off them easily but It is working Great! I am sooo happy! My Job is so much easier, usually the feeder and water-er were loaded with wood chips, now its just water and food! I am a happy woman! lmao
big_smile.png

The raised platform is the way that works best for me. I've done it two different ways. One is to stack bricks or use cinder blocks to set a waterer on if it is heavy enough they won't knock it over.

In the winter, I use those rubber bowls so I can just turn them over and stomp the ice out. The problem with them is that they are so light when they are about empty that the chickens can turn them over or move them around. I put two pieces of plywood together with two 2x2's separating them. I cut a circular hole in the top that the bowl sets down in. Make the top big enough the chickens can hop up there and stand to drink. I put that on top of a stack of bricks to raise it and screw it to the wall of the coop with angle brackets to hold it in place. It is up out of the shavings, easy to get to to refill, and don't turn over.

One problem is that some chickens like to perch on them and poop in them. You could hang something over them to keep them from perching up there but I haven't bothered. When they get poopy, I just dump them out.

Back
Top Bottom