Feed, Grit & Oyster Shells Separate?

Quote:
Could you please explain why you consider this is a good thing? If they eat more calcium than they need, their kidneys have to work overtime to get that out of their body. That can be hard on their kidneys. If they fill up on grit, they are not filling up on things that have nutrients in them. I'm sure you see some benefits in forcing them to eat extra of these things instead of their feed. Could you please share your thoughts on this?

Quote:
Could you please explain why you consider this is a good thing? If they eat more calcium than they need, their kidneys have to work overtime to get that out of their body. That can be hard on their kidneys. If they fill up on grit, they are not filling up on things that have nutrients in them. I'm sure you see some benefits in forcing them to eat extra of these things instead of their feed. Could you please share your thoughts on this?

I am adding only a tiny amount in my morning pails. They self-regulate their intake. At the end of the day, I find the oyster shell and grit remnants at the bottom of the feeders that they didn't want.

I feed lots of whole grains, and am happy to see them eat grit. They will absorb more nutrients.

I mix with feed they only eat what they want in the feed...
smile.png

OK, now, this means that no one should feed layer pellets to hens if non-laying pullets or roos could get to it — is that correct? I'm having a hard time keeping their feeds separate. The grownups love chick starter! And we don't want the babies eating the layer pellets. Help! Do I really need to worry about this? What did people do 100+ years ago?

Back
Top Bottom