feed price's

Quote:
I can well understand all the advertising and trucking adding to the cost. But it always has, this isn't a recent development. These price hikes are crazy. I still think that, at least where I am, there is some gouging going on.

Diesel, as everyone knows has skyrocketed over the past 3-5 years. Corn? Soybreans? My!!! Lots of factors driving commodities. World demand, world population, ethanol, politics, production issues related to climatic conditions, take your pick.

Some local mills are up to $12 a 50# and they are using their own grains. I don't see it as gouging as much as the new reality, perhaps. Semantics? I dunno. Frankly, given the cost of the raw materials, $25 a hundred for a quality feed is about right. That doesn't mean it makes any of us happy. There is major inflation in the food stuffs, grains, etc. I see no chance of a return to the "good old days" of lower feed/food prices of just a few years ago. There is far, far too much world wide demand. There is also a limit to the acreage that can be put into production. Welcome to the 21st century. It is a bit unsettling.

Quote:
Pellets help some, but waste is more function of the feeder style. There are a number of feeders that prevent the "beaking" and other tossing and flicking of the feed. I've not seen anything in pellets locally, either at our feed mill or at a Rural Lifestyle type store in pellets other than layer.

You can feed Raiser to any bird, at any time.

Purina supplies our local CO-OP and they have 21% layer pellets for $10.49 a 50lb bag. and they have their LAYENA OMEGA-3 feed for $11.20 something for a 50lb bag i just get the 21% and they lay better on it. when I have coupons a bag runs me $7.50 to $8.00 a bag. still cheaper than some parts of the country. our Tractor Supply carries Dumor for $13.00 a bag and FLOCK RAISER for $14 a bag. all prices vary from every time we go after feed.

Hi Fred

I agree on the world situation raising prices, inflation also figures in, but, that said, I also believe that we can cut up to 25% off current commercial feed prices by working with a local mill and/or grinding our own. My first choice is the local mill but if that isnt doable I will put up my own, this time next year I will be feeding right at 80-100 hens plus cocks so present feed prices at the rural lifestyle stores will be prohibitive.

In that vein I have been pricing grinding mills, at the available stuff now and current new prices if I buy one then its a long term commitment to make it pay, but then, I really dont see any other solution barring a reachable local mill that I can work with. That would be the best solution, as I can store 700-1,000 lbs.

I've changed the way I feed my flock and it's been working out just fine. I provide 22% game-bird pellets full time - cost is $15.50 locally for 50lb. The bulk of my feeding is a mix of 2/3 wheat, 1/3 cracked corn. 1/3 rolled (horse) oats and locally grown cabbage (1 big head per day) at $.15 per lb. The birds eat the grains first, the cabbage second and barely touch the game-bird feed. Egg production is 14 per day average from 17 chickens - not bad in my book. My current flock of RIRs is WAY more adaptable to alternate feeds than my previous mix of BOs and Comets. I paid $10 for 64 lbs. of wheat, $14 for 50 lbs of rolled oats and $11 for 50 lb. of cracked corn. I have no trouble selling all my excess eggs at $2.00 per dozen and we are coming out a little ahead on the deal.

As things get more expensive, we are all going to have to adapt to more locally grown and available raw feeds for our animals. Processed feeds are going to be out of reach for many. Now is a good time to begin thinking about what you can grow and provide for your own flock - it is not going to get any better in the future.

I have started to cutback on feed and have started feeding some cheaper stuff
hide.gif
Luckily all my birds are free-range and get an assortment of food that way. Currently I am feeding a mix of layer pellets ($16) rolled oats ($13) cracked corn ($13) and an all stock sweet feed ($11)....Has not really helped with costs yet but Im sure it will over all. I feed 400+lbs of feed a month so its getting pricey. Thinking I'm going to have to raise the price of my eggs from $2 to $2.50

Quote:
That's got the potential to be a very good thing. Fresher and better food for the chickens, less petroleum used to move feed around the country.

Quote:
+1.

Back
Top Bottom