Feed sack recycling ideas??

Pics
My husband has made a bunch of lightweight, moveable coops. He used feed bags (instead of tarps) for wind/rain protection on a few of them. He also tacked them to the top of brooders (in our garage) to keep birds from flying out; or tacked them inside brooders to create "rooms" for different breeds or hatches. We have a Lavender Orpington who decided the "roof" of one of the brooders was a great place to lay eggs. He put random boards across the top to discourage her. Every day, she just moves them and lays another egg. LOL!
sLcNmMHIRAaB5cWi2Oay2A.jpg

Have you checked with your feed store? Ours takes the feed bags back and recycles them.
My feed comes in plain ol' white feed-lot 50# bags, BUT they have a $0.20 rebate coupon printed on each one! So, about every 6 months I have a coupon clipping party and then turn in a stack to my feed store. Okay...maybe more than 6 months (I hate the clipping part), 'cause the last time I turned in $5.00 worth of coupons. :p

Our barn and vehicle structures have a concrete floor. We put a feed bag under equipment that might leak oil, like an old car, tractor, or the weed-eater, chain saw, to keep the concrete floors clean. Also we put sharp objects in them like someone mentioned, as from the shop - wood, metal scraps, etc., that might otherwise tear a trash bag, to take to the landfill.

We have both heavy, all organic compostable bags as well as the pretty plasticized ones. Whichever type you have, simply cutting off the bottom and then making a cut from end to end leaves you with a nice big sheet of working paper.

I love the idea of lining the shed wall with the pretty plasticized ones!

does anyone have any ideas on what to do w/all the feed sacks one collects? I use a couple for recycling (cardboard, cans, #1 plastic), and I wipe off my dog food bags & use them for wrapping packages (inside out so I can use the blank side for addressing). Oh, and I use them as trash bags too.

Back
Top Bottom