feed sources near Baltimore, MD

acacia987

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 7, 2013
Baltimore, MD
i plan to be ready for my first set of hens early spring. I have been doing a lot of research lately and only have two current issues i am working. The first being i am having trouble locating a near by source for feed. ideally i would like non-soy organic, but that may be difficult. Are they any Marylanders in the forum with some sources?

Andrew

I have not been able to find soy-free organic except for Countryside Organics. They have a monthly delivery in Leesburg, VA around noon on the first Thursday of each month. I'm in Mount Airy, and it's a good 45 minute drive there for me. http://www.countrysideorganics.com/home.php

There is a place in Westminster that sells organic, and Bowman's is supposed to have an organic as well. Sometimes Southern States carries organic, but it is not soy-free for sure; in fact, they pride on being vegetarian, which practically guarantees soy (protein source).

Nick's Organics in Potomac and Adamstown has locally grown and organic feed, but it's not soy-free. http://www.nicksorganicfarm.com/contactus.html

As a result, I've gone with Flock Raiser that I buy at Tractor Supply. Easier to find, less expensive, and all my birds can eat it; I supplement with oyster shells . I plan to convert over at some point to Countryside, my ultimate goal, once I figure out a way to store larger amounts of feed and get hubby to not freak out over the cost; I'm planning to get some Nick's when I need feed at the end of this month just to try it.

I have seen feed come up on Craig's List when I search chicken in the Baltimore list; apparently someone there makes feed and offers it for sale. I have no idea about quality. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/3483815282.html is the current listing. I have seen another for broiler feed, and I keep thinking about trying it, but the distance to drive might be further than Leesburg for me http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grq/3522819811.html and I am sure it is not soy-free (again, the vegetarian thing).

These links might be helpful:
http://www.marylandagriculture.info/category_info.cfm?categoryid=56
http://annearundel.patch.com/listings/clauss-feed-farm-supplies

thanks for the info!
those places are a little far for my preference except for maybe the last craigslist you posted. I emailed them concerning there layer feed and there exact location. Harford is not to far, so that maybe worth it to me( depending on quality/price). there is a place called feed plus in fallston that carries blue seal products(i hear good things about them). It seems like i will have to look at soy for the time being.

Since your familiar with the area, my other issues was loacting a place to get the chickens. I think i am leaning toward the Red star (red sexlink) breed of chickens. looking for a good hearty egg layer that is friendly (i have to little girls). Open to opinions/comments on my selection. Aside from craigslist, are there other places you are aware of (chicken shows/farms)

I should add i want to avoid chicks and would prefer to get pullets( something in the 10 to 18 week rage). ideally i would like to avoid the raising chick part of the process for my first time around.

Thank you so much,
Andrew

Last edited:
There is a poultry show in March in Bel Air; however, Red Stars are not usually exhibited. You might not find them there. You could look at the MD Poultry Association page. Have you seen the MD thread here on BYC? Someone there might be able to help you out.

You could order Red Stars or something similar from a hatchery. I know Murray Mc Murrary has started pullets. Spendy for shipping, but it gives you what you want with no searching.

If you don't have your heart set on one particular breed, watch CL. There is a BYCer in Thurmont who sometimes lists pullets on CL in the Frederick section. He has Easter Eggers and Marans, among other breeds, either of which are fine with kids. TBH, once we got rid of the backyard mix (mostly Australorpe mix) roosters, we haven't had any trouble with any of our chickens, even the roosters that we kept. And the roosters have never threatened the kids.

If you search chicken on the Baltimore CL, there is a guy who often lists coops he has built, and he has chickens too, but I'm not sure what he has.

I have also found various breeders by googling the breed I'm interested in and Maryland and seeing what pops up. Seen some interesting things that way. Sometimes they have gotten back to me, sometimes not.

Your options will probably open up here soon with spring coming in a few months.

Yes, finding a feed source has been a pest. There are not as many feedstores around as we would like. I looked into making feed -- I read threads here and googled it -- but I have so many birds it didn't make financial sense. If I had just 3-4, I'd think about it if I could find a source for bulk grains.

Right now on CL: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/3470507302.html Red Star crosses. Also has feed. Might be worth the drive if you are ready. If you aren't, I have found that many folks can help me out later. Like they might not have what I want now, but when they do, they call. So it might be worth touching base, seeing if he will have more in the spring if you aren't ready now or seeing if he knows someone else. It's all about the who knows whom ;)

I'm in Rockville and I just order the 50lb bag from Countryside. I also get the same size bag of DE from them. They just mail it to me. I keep the feed in a metal trash can, it already has DE in it and that keeps the bugs out. That is the BEST feed/scratch I've ever seen. They love it and have never looked so good since starting them on it. To me it's worth the cost plus best price on DE I can find.

Thanks for the CL link. i will email him and see if he will have anything early spring, and hopefully a little younger.

The DE is a good price, (even better then amazon) at 80cents a lb(including shipping to me). i will have to see what brick and mortar places have it for. thanks for the heads up.

Hi acacia987,

I am in Fallston, but don't use non soy organic, but would be interested. Where is the place located that you found in Fallston!? I usually get my feed from The Mill in Bel Air, but I know others who get theirs from TSC in Aberdeen.

There is a local source for chicks in Churchville, but I don't know if she has the type you are looking for. She is very nice and has an assortment of ages so you can go and pick out the birds you like at the ages you want them to be.

This is our first year with them so we are learning as we go, but if I can help let me know.

Christine

Feed Plus
2725 Fallston Road,
Fallston, MD 21047

They supposedly carry Blueseal products which has a line of organic feed (includes soy protein however). I have not been there so i am not sure what they have in stock or the prices.if you could get me some info on the Churchville place that would be nice.

Thank you,
Andrew

I think I know exactly where you are talking about. I will check in there soon, probably next week to see what they offer for feed. We usually go there for dog or cat supplies, but I know they carry horse stuff plus they are a shelter. I never thought to check them for chicken feed.

The person's name is Cathy . Phone number 410-491-3961 I thought I had her email address, but it seems that I don't. I will ask my neighbor, she was the person who originally bought some ducks from Cathy. I think she did find her thru Craigslist so she could have a posting.

Christine

Back
Top Bottom