??? Feeding Black Oil Sunflower seeds ???

kico166

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
Minnesota
hmm.png
Do you feed these seeds to the girls in the same manner as the wild birds? (In a self-serve container?)
Thanks much -

I assume we are talking about the same seeds as those fed to the wild ones ...

Edit to add: Or are we talking about the unshelled, unroasted ...

Last edited:
Yes they are the same. I throw large handfuls on the ground and let them have at it or add it to their regular feed. The seeds are high in protein, around 16%, so they still get the protein they need even if they are eating large amounts of seed.

It's been expensive lately though. Last year I was buying 50# bags for around $10. Lately its been $15 or more in my area.

Yes, unshelled, unroasted, bulk black oil sunflower seed. I now have large sunflower plants growing in the run from where the seeds have sprouted. I tilled up an area alongside the driveway for wife to plant flowers and tilled in a bunch of compost that came out the run. Hundreds of sunflowers sprouted so we just let them grow. You can't see her flowers anymore, but we have a whole crop of 3 ft tall sunflower plants. They haven't flowered yet so I don't know if they'll produce seed or not...

Thanks Mac -
I've paid around $14 for 50 lb bag of Black Oil - in the shell - for the bird feeders. I don't recall seeing shelled seeds except the small bags - around $1.38 / lb.

I would guess there's a good chance of getting seed from your 'crop'. Not sure I'd be too happy to see my flower bed taken over!

i'll definitely have to look into adding some for a treat at night. The girls are so good about going 'home' to the roost at night!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Quote:
I'm not sure if they'll produce seed or not. Most cash crops anymore use hybrid seed to increase production, pest resistance, etc. and most will produce sterile plants. We'll just have to wait and see...

Hey Mac, did your sunflowers ever produce seed? I have alot of black oil sunflowers that have sprouted from bird seed, and am curious if they will produce seed.

The dropped seeds from our bird feeder sprouted and *did* have seeds when it was matured. The wild, little yellow tanagers loved it, heh.

Quote:
Yes, they did. This is the area alongside the drive where I tilled in some compost for a new flower garden, but the compost was full of sunflower feed. The little flowers my wife planted didn't have a chance...

Picture093.jpg

Picture095.jpg

Back
Top Bottom