feeding Chickens Black pepper

I've raised cjhickens a long time. I thought I was fairly up to date on stuff pertaining to them, but boy BYC has some good stuff. I'm trying the black pepper and cayenne pepper next winter. My egg production was terrible this winter. I hope this will help my girls

As I was getting frustrated with a 15mo old hen who brooded for 5 weeks, then "recuperated" for 4 more, the idea of "helping" the egg-laying with pepper does seem very appealing.

I started adding some ground pepper to my chickens' diet three days ago and it may be coincidence, but it worked! Not only I started getting eggs from the lazy hen, but my two pullets, aged 22 weeks, decided to start laying! Their poop is much more watery (from all the water they're taking in), but that's about the only downside.

My two thumbs up for the peppery trick.

I am assuming that since pepper will up their water consumption, that could be the key to more eggs...eggs are 74% water (something like that), and a hen that is slacking at the water bowl will slack in the egg box...maybe?? It's a theory!! But good results, are good results so I say 'sprinkle it on!!"

lau.gif

Is there a ratio of pepper to feed or do I just got out to the chicken yard with the pepper shaker, turn it upside-down and start shaking?

I started giving my hens red pepper flakes on their morning feed. Within three days, they started laying again. It's been about a week and a half now, and five of six are laying. The only weirdo is my Hamburg.... She layed a softish egg a couple days after I started giving pepper. Hasn't laid another since.

I began giving mine red pepper to see if the chickens were really eating that much feed... turns out we have a lot of mice. My feed consumption has dropped to half of what it was. We have been adding it for 2 weeks now... hopefully since the mice don't have not other feed source (everything else is in metal cans), they have left the building!
thumbsup.gif

I'm not sure exactly how I happened upon this thread, but I'm very glad I did!! We just got our 1st flock of 4 girls this past Friday at a local flea market's "Small Animal Auction" and due to our inexperience and over zealousness, we ended up with older girls in various stages of molt
hu.gif

We wanted to get chooks that were already laying because we thought that would be the most economical way to go for our situation (looong story lol, read some of my threads if you want to know hehe), but that backfired big time. We had one girl in the nest box yesterday, singing away and we were SURE we were getting our first egg, however, the gas company is doing work on our street and started using a jack hammer (seriously, I kid you not) and she came running out of the coop like her comb was on fire
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
!!!!

This morning I will be giving them their treat of scrambled eggs, crushed egg shell and yogurt... COVERED in pepper!! This evening's treat of chick peas and tomatoes will also be peppered and tomorrow I will repeat and the next day and he next! I will make sure their water bucket is full and I will report back to let you know how it works out!

I WILL get eggs from these chickens, I will, I will, I WILL get eggs from these chickens!!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom