Feeding chickens wet feed?

Mei&Popcorn

Songster
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hello! For the past few weeks, I've been feeding my chickens wet feed as a change from dry feed. I heard that they get more nutritional value out of it when it is wet. I change it everyday. Is this OK? Will it grow mold in the course of a day? Is it any better than feeding chickens dry feed? It is wet feed - not fermented..

Thanks!

Last edited:
I started feeding fermented feed a couple weeks ago. I put their regular feed in a bucket with some water kefir grains (some people use sourdough starter some use apple cider vinegar with the mother in it). My birds eat half as much feed now and look so much healthier. I may experiment with the feed mix a bit, but will never go back to dry feed. WOW!

This is a very good blog with the simple easy steps to FF :) I haven't tried it yet, but I Intend too try it at least once :)
D.gif

http://rustonpoultryfarm.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/fermented-feed-for-your-flock/

I don't know of any nutritional difference by pouring water on normally dry feed. It will not mold in one day though. In my opinion, it's a nice gesture for you to try to change things up a bit by wetting the feed but since you are having to change it every day, it seems like you are wasting a lot of money on feed you end up throwing away. If you don't care about that then go for it.

I don't know of any nutritional difference by pouring water on normally dry feed. It will not mold in one day though. In my opinion, it's a nice gesture for you to try to change things up a bit by wetting the feed but since you are having to change it every day, it seems like you are wasting a lot of money on feed you end up throwing away. If you don't care about that then go for it.
I don't end up throwing away much of the wet feed- and it actually saves money! Usually, my chickens spill half their feed and waste it, anyways... so wet feed does save me money.

I'm going to try wetting my chickens feed. Maybe with an apple juice and water mix. My chickens swipe their beaks through the dish of crumble like they're looking for something in the bottom of the feeder that isn't there. They do it on purpose. I'm using a dog kennel dish though so its probably 1/2 my fault. I keep meaning to stop off and get a chicken feeder with the holes, I just haven't. Tomorrow morning they're getting a dish of wet crumble for the day! Thank you for this :)

Back
Top Bottom