feeding dead mealworms

688peterl

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
yes i know you can buy dried mealworms but these are dead live mealworms if that makes sense lol i ordered them from ebay they arrived today and they are dead at least i think they are dead they arent moving like they do that celeb show, anyways i put some in a bowl in the run and donald and louis gobbled them up, then i put them in the pool and they ate most of them but some are still there floating around and its so eww, oh and some of the mealworms were actually black!

i just had a crazy though.. maybe i need to warm them up a bit? then they will come to life how am i gonna warm them up though? in fact does it even matter than they arent moving i dont think donald and louis care much

I got noo idea but I bet those little ducks love yoooo lol. I gave mine blueberries today. They looked at them like they were evil and then Doogie who's a bit special needs stormed on in and stuffed his face with them. When Rory and Mr. Snoogles realised that Doogie didn't get dead after eatin them they scarfed the lot lol. They still can't get the hang of carrot though.

aww a special needs duck
love.gif

Lool.
He doesn't even quack properly, he starts off quacking and then gets so excited he squeaks. Then the other two look at him like, he is soo embarrassing. And then sometimes he quacks super loud and the other two come runnin an I come runnin an there's nothin there an the other two look up at me as if they're sayin, well we don't know, can YOU see anythin? Lool. Funny little Doog. He's the white one:

41074_12082009457.jpg

priss: if doog is quack then he is a she.
wink.png

688peterl: don't heat them up, worms don't work like that you will have cooked worms and a smelly microwave.
sickbyc.gif
if they aren't moving then they are most likely dead. Your ducks will love them the same. They probably will eat up the ones in the pool later so I wouldn't worry about those either.

Live mealworms do best at room temperatures. 70-75 degrees. They can be "stored" in a refrigerator in which case they go into a "dormant" state. Alive, but not active at all. Too cold and they will die.

If your mealworms came in the mail and got too cold, they probably died. If only to about 40 degrees, then dormant, but would have started moving again when they warmed to room temperatures. The one you said was black was dead. They do not live in water, so any in the pool are dead now. If the ducks don't east them all soon, they will start to rot and make a mess.

If you have any left from the shipment and they are still not moving at room temps, they should be put in the freezer until you feed them to keep them from rotting.

Back
Top Bottom