Feeding different aged chickens

Aacre

Songster
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Western Slope, Colorado
I have 6 laying hens, 2 roos, 6 six wk. old chicks, and 19 two week old chicks. The young chicks, I plan on feeding chick start, but at what age should chicks start on flock raiser? Since I have chicks and chickens at different ages is it OK to switch my laying hens to flock raiser as well (and offer oyster shell as free choice)? It would be nice to have to only worry about 2 kinds of feeds instead of 3 (flock raiser and chick start versus flock raiser, layer mash, and chick start). This age difference is going to be happening frequently since my husband and I are starting out on raising our own chickens for meat and eggs.
Right now, I have begun preparing the layer mash and chick start for fermented feed. I know soon I will need flock raiser for the teenaged chicks/chickens.. I am only trying to figure out if it is possible to make my part a bit easier.
smile.png

You can give the older chicken grower or flock raiser and offer oyster shell to supplement the calcium. But don't offer layer to younger birds. (You probably already knew that) so, yes get the grower and offer the oyster shell to supplement the calcium. That will be just fine. Hope this helps.

Actually, you can use Flock Raiser for all of them and pare it down to a single feed with oyster shell available for the layers. It has 20% protein and low calcium which is suitable for all ages. Obviously, it isn't medicated so you'd need enough starter to last 4-16 weeks each time you start chicks if that's something you prefer to use or you can buy Amprolium powder and only dose the chicks' feed.

You can give the older chicken grower or flock raiser and offer oyster shell to supplement the calcium. But don't offer layer to younger birds. (You probably already knew that) so, yes get the grower and offer the oyster shell to supplement the calcium. That will be just fine. Hope this helps.
Thank you! This is just what I was hoping to hear. I'm going to make the switch once they run out of this bag of layer mash.
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom