Feeding my new layers

Shocki

Chirping
Apr 4, 2023
Eastern Idaho
Ok, so 2 days ago I got my first egg from one of my Buckeyes. I was really surprised because they aren't quite 20 weeks yet, and I was under the impression I'd be waiting a while longer for this breed to lay. Then yesterday I found another egg. Buckeyes don't lay everyday right? I don't know who laid it. Then today I found 3 more eggs! So definitely more than one laying. Not sure what set off all the laying. It's also been really hot out. Everything about this was a big surprise to me.

The eggs are very small. About 33g each. They look good otherwise. Hard shells, vibrant yolks, good taste lol.

They are currently eating scratch and peck grower crumbles, and sometimes their other grower food fermented, and watermelon on hot days, and fruit and eggs that my 1 year old throws all over the floor, but the crumbles are always available to them. I just ordered 50lb more grower crumbles right before they started laying. I don't know who is laying, but not all of them. I just ordered oyster shell. Is free choice oyster shell, alongside my grower feed good enough until it runs out? Is there something else I should add for my layers?

I always read that buckeyes don't lay til they are 6-7 months, so I thought I had more time to research this stuff before I ever found an egg.

Yes that will be fine.

Feed the flock based on the youngest member is a good rule to follow. Keep the shell grit in a separate small feeder so they can graze it as required.
For example in a flock with mature hens and young chicks.... feed everyone chick crumble. There are some tricks to ensure the chicks are getting a fair share. But that's not relevant to your situation.
The grower feed should have all the requirements a laying hen needs.... just minus the higher calcium levels. It's always good form to keep shell around regardless imo.

Once that bag is gone and or they are all laying.... you can switch to a laying feed or an all flock with shell on the side. At this level of maturity it won't hurt if they are on layer feed for a couple weeks prior to beginning laying.

Laying maturity will vary wildly even within the same brood. There are a million and one theories as to why.

Back
Top Bottom