Feeding question...how much pellets is to little ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AthenaT, Mar 30, 2015.

1. AthenaT

AthenaT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Port Richey Florida
    OK guys quick newbie question. Background When I got my "Krewe" they were very rangy and under weight. I spoil my girls with lots of scraps, treats and keep layers pellets, fresh water and scratch down during the day. I have 7 hens and 1 pullet all laying now and average 6 eggs a day . They free range my backyard all day.They are now only eating about a quart of layers pellet and a pint of scratch a day between them. Is this enough or should I decrease the treats ?

2. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    Should be 2 cups of pellets and 1 cup of water per bird per day :)

3. AthenaT

Mar 11, 2015
    Port Richey Florida
    guess I'd better cut down on the treats...they are down to less than a cup a day each including the scratch.....they do have nice full crops at night and are gaining weight and laying well

4. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    Well if they're free ranging they will be eating less then 2 cups a day, that number is for caged birds I believe. But treats shouldn't be supplemented for feed according to the feed companies. Your girls sound really healthy so I wouldn't stress it but definitely give them some more pellets and cut down on the treats a bit.

5. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    I would leave water available all day.

6. AthenaT

Mar 11, 2015
    Port Richey Florida
    yes water is available 24/7.until last week I was even refilling pellets in the coop at night...bit of a newbie as you can tell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by