Feeding to prevent angel wing

Candyland430

Chirping
Apr 11, 2019
I have 3 week old Pekin ducklings. This is our first time raising ducks. I have found this site to be a great resource and was reading about angel wing. I read to add rolled oats to cut back on protein. Do I need to grind the oats and how much do I add? Do I need to then add more niacin? Do I need to offer grit then as well? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

I have 3 week old Pekin ducklings. This is our first time raising ducks. I have found this site to be a great resource and was reading about angel wing. I read to add rolled oats to cut back on protein. Do I need to grind the oats and how much do I add? Do I need to then add more niacin? Do I need to offer grit then as well? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Angel wing is not very well understood. But according to the research I have done... it is cause by ANY excess energy source (even something like scratch with only 7% protein could be a contributing factor... and most likely only in those who are genetically predisposed in some way.

Here is the best resource for nutritional information that I have seen...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=23893207

I personally would NOT be dumbing down a formulated ration for ducklings.. as it isn't just about protein and niacin but also the other vitamins, minerals, and importantly the amino acids.

Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids... in addition it's a major building block for muscle.

Energy only comes from 3 sources... fat, protein, and carbs including fiber. Protein and carbs have the same amount of "energy" but not the same amount of nutrients.

Good luck, pics always welcome! ;)

What are you feeding now?

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Angel wing is not very well understood. But according to the research I have done... it is cause by ANY excess energy source (even something like scratch with only 7% protein could be a contributing factor... and most likely only in those who are genetically predisposed in some way.

Here is the best resource for nutritional information that I have seen...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=23893207

I personally would NOT be dumbing down a formulated ration for ducklings.. as it isn't just about protein and niacin but also the other vitamins, minerals, and importantly the amino acids.

Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids... in addition it's a major building block for muscle.

Energy only comes from 3 sources... fat, protein, and carbs including fiber. Protein and carbs have the same amount of "energy" but not the same amount of nutrients.

Good luck, pics always welcome! ;)

What are you feeding now?
I am feeding Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. They seem to be doing well on it. I am so glad I found Backyard Chickens! It is so informative and everyone is so helpful! Thank you so much. I think I will leave things as they are then and just keep an eye on things. Love having ducks! Would do it again in a minute! They have been a great addition to our flock.

I am feeding Purina Flock Raiser crumbles.
This is what I use ALWAYS. I never switch, just provide oyster shell on the side once birds are laying. I never experienced any angel wing in my ducklings... and it's already 2% lower in protein than the suggested level of 22%... stating that if lower protein is fed to lengthen the amount of time at that level before reducing farther, in the link I provided earlier.

I contacted Purina regarding this feed specifically since niacin level isn't listed on the guaranteed analysis.. and they did confirm the level is 55mg/kg.

Pekin are meaty ducks... while the level of niacin in the FR *should* be enough... some individuals may require more. Niacin, a B vitamin... cannot be overdosed. If you have access to a good supplement, it wouldn't hurt to add some on occasion.

Long term, ducks weren't the birds for me... partly due to feed cost. But it was a fantastic experience! :wee

Glad you are enjoying them! :thumbsup

This is what I use ALWAYS. I never switch, just provide oyster shell on the side once birds are laying. I never experienced any angel wing in my ducklings... and it's already 2% lower in protein than the suggested level of 22%... stating that if lower protein is fed to lengthen the amount of time at that level before reducing farther, in the link I provided earlier.

I contacted Purina regarding this feed specifically since niacin level isn't listed on the guaranteed analysis.. and they did confirm the level is 55mg/kg.

Pekin are meaty ducks... while the level of niacin in the FR *should* be enough... some individuals may require more. Niacin, a B vitamin... cannot be overdosed. If you have access to a good supplement, it wouldn't hurt to add some on occasion.

Long term, ducks weren't the birds for me... partly due to feed cost. But it was a fantastic experience! :wee

Glad you are enjoying them! :thumbsup
Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated!

@EggSighted4Life has given some wonderful advice. The only thing I do differently for my Pekins is give them liquid b complex for their legs. It can be purchased at tractor supply or at Walmart in the vitamin aisle. I haven’t had a single Pekin with angel wing, however I have had issues with their legs and I’ve given the purina flock raiser as well. Hence the b complex.

I love the links you guys did from Metzers, his site is a gold mine of information on raising waterfowl.

Dave Holderread (can never be sure I'm spelling his name right) is another gold mine of information. His website is good, however his book "Stories guide to Raising Ducks" is even better. I would say its a must read for anyone serious about raising waterfowl.

For ducks, Purina's Flock Raiser is very good, but it is always a good insurance policy to add Niacin especially for Pekins as they are the fastest growing duck and need those nutrients the most during their fast growth stage. Which is typically about 1 to 8 weeks old, after that they should be just fine on flock raiser alone. I'm planning to supplement for 10 weeks just to be sure.

All you really need is Niacin, which is easy to find at any Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. Its also very inexpensive. Just make sure its not the slow release or flush free and you should be good.

The 5$ Vitamin / Mineral pack that Metzers offers for sale in their feed and supplement section is very good. (edit, just checked, its now $7) Its called BVS Poultry Starter Pak.

In addition to Niacin it has plenty of other vitamins and minerals that help your birds get off to a healthy start. Its only negative was they wanted as much for the shipping as they did for the supplement itself!

Being the tightwad that I am, I looked for something equal to it on Amazon so I could get free shipping. But alas, everything I found had significantly less Niacin, and often contained allot of salt. I'm currently using something I found at my local feed store but its not quite as good as the BVS stuff.

I did find this source, which still lists the product at $3.64

https://www.qcsupply.com/549992-bvs-starter-pak.html

Shipping is still an issue for me since their on the East side of the US and I'm in CA. But there you are, if you want it, that's the best price I could find.

@EggSighted4Life has given some wonderful advice. The only thing I do differently for my Pekins is give them liquid b complex for their legs. It can be purchased at tractor supply or at Walmart in the vitamin aisle. I haven’t had a single Pekin with angel wing, however I have had issues with their legs and I’ve given the purina flock raiser as well. Hence the b complex.
How much vitamin B do you give them?

I love the links you guys did from Metzers, his site is a gold mine of information on raising waterfowl.

Dave Holderread (can never be sure I'm spelling his name right) is another gold mine of information. His website is good, however his book "Stories guide to Raising Ducks" is even better. I would say its a must read for anyone serious about raising waterfowl.

For ducks, Purina's Flock Raiser is very good, but it is always a good insurance policy to add Niacin especially for Pekins as they are the fastest growing duck and need those nutrients the most during their fast growth stage. Which is typically about 1 to 8 weeks old, after that they should be just fine on flock raiser alone. I'm planning to supplement for 10 weeks just to be sure.

All you really need is Niacin, which is easy to find at any Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. Its also very inexpensive. Just make sure its not the slow release or flush free and you should be good.

The 5$ Vitamin / Mineral pack that Metzers offers for sale in their feed and supplement section is very good. (edit, just checked, its now $7) Its called BVS Poultry Starter Pak.

In addition to Niacin it has plenty of other vitamins and minerals that help your birds get off to a healthy start. Its only negative was they wanted as much for the shipping as they did for the supplement itself!

Being the tightwad that I am, I looked for something equal to it on Amazon so I could get free shipping. But alas, everything I found had significantly less Niacin, and often contained allot of salt. I'm currently using something I found at my local feed store but its not quite as good as the BVS stuff.

I did find this source, which still lists the product at $3.64

https://www.qcsupply.com/549992-bvs-starter-pak.html

Shipping is still an issue for me since their on the East side of the US and I'm in CA. But there you are, if you want it, that's the best price I could find.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom