Feeding your chickens apples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DaveTaunton, Sep 16, 2013.

1. DaveTaunton

DaveTaunton Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    We have an apple tree in our garden. And the apples are around midway in the growing process this year. Would the ones that have already fallen be ok to give them as a treat?

1 person likes this.
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I've fed chickens apples, although I've been warned the seeds are poisonous.

3. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Yeah apples are good for them and all that. I think the chances of the seeds poisoning them are similar to humans. I.e if you ate a cup full of them haha. I just don't know whether to give mine these ones as they aren't fully ripe yet?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The ripe ones are easier for them to tear apart. I'll give over ripe or bruised apples and the girls love them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stan stares down a seed. He didn't eat it so I'm wondering if chickens have innate knowledge about such things.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Thanks alot :) do you think it would taste a bit bitter for them as it would for us? I mean I have no problem with chopping it up for them. Just money is a bit tight at the moment so I'm trying to mix it up the best I can

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ours eat any they find that have fallen off the trees, ripe or not, same with pears.

1 person likes this.
  7. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Oh brilliant! Tonight they feast then haha

8. MichiganChick2

MichiganChick2 New Egg

Sep 16, 2013
    I've done it all summer, they love them! They eat the apples off the ground, and even some with brown on them. They know what they can eat and leave the rest.

9. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Yeah I got a load from the ground but they wouldn't touch them. So I cut them in half and they went crazy for them. It was fantastic!

1 person likes this.
  10. LindaMurphy

LindaMurphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Surprise Arizona
    I can relate with times being tough. I feed my chickens the disposed of produce that I pick up from where I get my food box. I asked them if I could come pick up the old bread and produce that they can't give out but it is perfectly good for the chickens. In fact they love it. They eat every form of fruit and vegetable imaginable. They LOVE the apples. The softer the better. When they get nice and soft I just throw it (SPLAT) in their big feeding bowl and they go at it in a frenzy[​IMG]. Same with bananas. they are crazy about cantaloupe too. From what I read you want to stay away from avocado and potato skins[​IMG]. I hadn't thought about the seeds of the apple. My birds seem ok and they have eaten a lot of apples. Between free range eating and all the fresh fruit and vegetables these chickens are the best fed around.[​IMG] They are certainly getting fat. Especially my New Hampshire Reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by