Feeding your chickens apples

I've fed chickens apples, although I've been warned the seeds are poisonous.

Yeah apples are good for them and all that. I think the chances of the seeds poisoning them are similar to humans. I.e if you ate a cup full of them haha. I just don't know whether to give mine these ones as they aren't fully ripe yet?

The ripe ones are easier for them to tear apart. I'll give over ripe or bruised apples and the girls love them

Stan stares down a seed. He didn't eat it so I'm wondering if chickens have innate knowledge about such things.

Thanks alot :) do you think it would taste a bit bitter for them as it would for us? I mean I have no problem with chopping it up for them. Just money is a bit tight at the moment so I'm trying to mix it up the best I can

I've done it all summer, they love them! They eat the apples off the ground, and even some with brown on them. They know what they can eat and leave the rest.

I can relate with times being tough. I feed my chickens the disposed of produce that I pick up from where I get my food box. I asked them if I could come pick up the old bread and produce that they can't give out but it is perfectly good for the chickens. In fact they love it. They eat every form of fruit and vegetable imaginable. They LOVE the apples. The softer the better. When they get nice and soft I just throw it (SPLAT) in their big feeding bowl and they go at it in a frenzy
droolin.gif
. Same with bananas. they are crazy about cantaloupe too. From what I read you want to stay away from avocado and potato skins
sickbyc.gif
. I hadn't thought about the seeds of the apple. My birds seem ok and they have eaten a lot of apples. Between free range eating and all the fresh fruit and vegetables these chickens are the best fed around.
pop.gif
They are certainly getting fat. Especially my New Hampshire Reds.

Back
Top Bottom