Feeding your chickens... chicken? o.O

tiffrosef

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
My best friend also raises chickens, and the other day while I was at her house I noticed her feeding her chickens... well chicken. I was wondering if that can possibly hurt them? I mean, other than the fact that there feels like something is morally and ethically wrong with feeding chickens chicken, can there be any biological affects on them? She said she gives it to them for extra protein... but there are tons of proteins out there that don't involve your pets being cannibals.

Once they eat it, it's protein - moral dilemma aside. Unless the meat is rancid, it can't hurt them. Chickens, like humans are omnivores. They are also scavengers and will eat any kind of meat they come across. In fact, chickens kept in close confinement will become carnivores if they get bored and feel the need for more protein.
Mine get to pick the bones of a turkey, chicken carcass or steak bones. They don't care.
I had my first bout with cannibalism last winter. I was shocked. Never had it in my life. Still trying to figure out exactly what was the impetus.

Back
Top Bottom