Feelin like we failed our doe. :(. What to do now?

sfgwife

Crowing
May 19, 2017
North Cakalaki
I cross posted this on byh also but it isn’t gettin any replies so i thought i would ask here and see if anyone might have any ideas/solutions. Or i dunno..... nothin at this point can make us feel better for the situation but tryin make sure the doe stays ok is the main priority right now. Sorry for the long post! And ty for those readin it through and tryin help us!

Have a mini rex that had a litter four days ago. This is her fourth kindling. We colony raise but her first two litters (first litter she just dropped willy nilly on the ground bein a new new maman probably had not much of a clue what was happenin) we moved to a nesting box inside the pen because WE were nervous nellies as first time “grandpartent”. Third litter she had in the box herself. This time she decided to make herself a hollow underground. So we let her have at it because she has been a great maman and we felt she would be ok since our other mini had just raised a litter under their dogloo in horrible cold/snow and everyone was fine. Yesterday it rained... mostly piddled all day then was heavier last night. When we went to feed everyone and put to bed we put hay down around her den because it was gettin soggy. We did check and her den seemed to be mostly dry at the entrance behind her hay/dirt barrier and we put it back like she had it and saw her go inside to check/feed before we left as well. This mornin i go out to start our day and maman had her nest uncovered uh oh. :(. This is the failure part... and we feel like jerks for not movin the kits into a box last night. Seven beautiful lil kits drowned. I keep thinkin if we had moved them all would be well. But we cannnot change that now no matter how crappy we feel about it.

So. We have a new zealand with kits that are two days older than these were and everyone is doin great. Do we try givin the mini a few kits to raise? Or just let her be? I worry because the mini surely had real milk by now and all of a sudden no kits to nurse. Will mastitis be a possibility/problem? Or will she do ok leavin her alone to dry up like this? I alos fret over puttin two kits with her that arent hers not knowin how she might react and would she accept them or kill them this late in the game. :/. Or might rebreedin her help with dryin up her milk a lil more quickly so possibly helpin her not to have any problems with mastitis?... dilema with this is we breed in pairs about threeish weeks after weaning and her “mate” just had a litter. Our other pair just each weaned litters but if we rebreed one of those ladies then the next lady will be waitin a while to be rebred so it could possibly make her a bit more difficult to get rebred. :/.

So i don’t have a CLUE as to what the best right answer for this lady might be. :( i have been kickin myself all day long because of our seeming stupidity in all this.

I cross posted this on byh also but it isn’t gettin any replies so i thought i would ask here and see if anyone might have any ideas/solutions. Or i dunno..... nothin at this point can make us feel better for the situation but tryin make sure the doe stays ok is the main priority right now. Sorry for the long post! And ty for those readin it through and tryin help us!

Have a mini rex that had a litter four days ago. This is her fourth kindling. We colony raise but her first two litters (first litter she just dropped willy nilly on the ground bein a new new maman probably had not much of a clue what was happenin) we moved to a nesting box inside the pen because WE were nervous nellies as first time “grandpartent”. Third litter she had in the box herself. This time she decided to make herself a hollow underground. So we let her have at it because she has been a great maman and we felt she would be ok since our other mini had just raised a litter under their dogloo in horrible cold/snow and everyone was fine. Yesterday it rained... mostly piddled all day then was heavier last night. When we went to feed everyone and put to bed we put hay down around her den because it was gettin soggy. We did check and her den seemed to be mostly dry at the entrance behind her hay/dirt barrier and we put it back like she had it and saw her go inside to check/feed before we left as well. This mornin i go out to start our day and maman had her nest uncovered uh oh. :(. This is the failure part... and we feel like jerks for not movin the kits into a box last night. Seven beautiful lil kits drowned. I keep thinkin if we had moved them all would be well. But we cannnot change that now no matter how crappy we feel about it.

So. We have a new zealand with kits that are two days older than these were and everyone is doin great. Do we try givin the mini a few kits to raise? Or just let her be? I worry because the mini surely had real milk by now and all of a sudden no kits to nurse. Will mastitis be a possibility/problem? Or will she do ok leavin her alone to dry up like this? I alos fret over puttin two kits with her that arent hers not knowin how she might react and would she accept them or kill them this late in the game. :/. Or might rebreedin her help with dryin up her milk a lil more quickly so possibly helpin her not to have any problems with mastitis?... dilema with this is we breed in pairs about threeish weeks after weaning and her “mate” just had a litter. Our other pair just each weaned litters but if we rebreed one of those ladies then the next lady will be waitin a while to be rebred so it could possibly make her a bit more difficult to get rebred. :/.

So i don’t have a CLUE as to what the best right answer for this lady might be. :( i have been kickin myself all day long because of our seeming stupidity in all this.
Did you link @pastordave on BYH?

I’m sorry you have to go through this! My suggestion would be to leave her be. Rabbits are so resilient that she could be pregnant already again!! That’s the great thing about them while they are nursing they can also be pregnant!! Rabbits are amazing creatures and can handle losses we are way more sensitive then they are. I hope I helped you a little!! Good luck and don’t be to hard on your self!!

Thanks! No chance of her bein pregnant though... we have the bucks separate. :). Just didnt know if it a good idea to rebreed her right now or not. Thinkin we may... but need figure out a new “schedule” for the four does if we do do it now.

Wishing you fast recovering from this I do not do rabbits either but have basic knowledge they are much more resilient than we want to give them credit for..

I'm sorry about what happened; it is always hard to lose kits (at least for us humans). Most does don't take the loss of kits very hard, though, and just move on with their lives.

If you want to foster some kits to her, it would probably work, as does are generally very tolerant of new kits. However, it is not necessary to have her fulfill any "mothering instincts." I wouldn't worry too much about mastitis unless she starts acting sick. Rabbits are hardy animals.

Re-breeding her would be fine, too, if it worked with your schedule. Does are often most fertile after they've had a litter.

Good luck! Hopefully she'll give you some healthy, happy babies someday soon.

Back
Top Bottom