Feet pecking

garden62

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 21, 2012
We have a cochin rooster and the hens are picking at his feet. We have tried Blue Kote several time & it works for a few days. We took him out for 2 days to give him a chance to heal. We put him back in 3 days ago & he's a mess now. If anyone has a suggestion I (& he) would really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.

Is that him in your avatar? This is really strange behavour. Is he new to the hens? How old is he? How old are the hens Are they taking the feathers off? Is he bleeding?

Last edited:
I would say, for any other animal, apply something bitter, like bitter apple so they won't wanna peck his feet.... but chickens don't have that good taste buds. The blu cote is the best you can do, keep reapplying and eventually they will stop. Another idea is to seperate the main bully, if you see a hen that is the most persistant... seperate her. This will distrupt the pecking order and see if your rooster is okay with out that one hen around. If that works, wait a week to re introduce her to the flock, hopefully making her reconsider pecking his feet instead of defending herself against the wrath of the pecking order power! :) Praying for your little guy!

That is not him. The rooster in the avatar is the "underling" of the roosters. We started with 4 roosters with our 100 hens. 2 buff Cochin, 1 splash Cochin & 1 dark Brahma. We gave 1 buff Cochin away (to a good home) bcuz he was getting his feet pecked. Next they started with the Brahma & we found him a good home, now they're starting with with other buff (who was originally the dominant rooster in the group). The splash spends most of his time on the roost - he knows his place & he stays there - LOL!

I chose the Cochin's because of their docile personality, but my husband said the hens peck at their feet because of the feathers. I considered cutting some of the feathers off, but that would leave the little stubs & they would probably peck at that also. I also considered using some vet bandage that I have for the dogs. DH doesn't think that would work either. The majority of our hens are red stars, so I guess I would have to grab the offender immediately & watch for any others. Yesterday he was fine, but today he spent most of his day outside away from the hens and he is limping - poor guy.

I guess I'll keep doing the blue kote & try to catch the hen or hens that are picking at him. If anyone else has another suggestion I would appreciate it. I hate to see him in pain.

Not over crowded - they have about 1 acre outside & the "Certified Humare" lady said they have about 3 time as much room inside as they need . I can't imagine that they're bored. They have free access to the outside from sun-up till sun-down. I also scatter millet & oats on the floor for them to pick through every day (keeps the bedding fluffed).

I can say that the Red Stars for the most part are meaner than the other breeds that we have. We have a few barred rocks, buff orphingtons & some exotics that were sent with past orders. We also have 2 Rhode Is reds that are not as sweet as the others.

Not over crowded - they have about 1 acre outside & the "Certified Humare" lady said they have about 3 time as much room inside as they need . I can't imagine that they're bored. They have free access to the outside from sun-up till sun-down. I also scatter millet & oats on the floor for them to pick through every day (keeps the bedding fluffed).

I can say that the Red Stars for the most part are meaner than the other breeds that we have. We have a few barred rocks, buff orphingtons & some exotics that were sent with past orders. We also have 2 Rhode Is reds that are not as sweet as the others.

Definetly use blu-cote. I believe it will fix your problem.

I've been sprinkling oats & feed on the floor of the house & that actually seems to be working better than the Blue Kote. Previous to sprinkling the feed, the Blue Kote would work for a couple of days then they would be right back pecking at his feet. It seems that they're spending so much time scratching on the floor & fluffing their bedding that they don't think about the roosters feet. I also ordered some Nu Stock for the sore on his foot. He is still favoring it and limping a little.
The rest of our plan is to take all the hens that are not Red Stars (about 25 ) out of the main barn and move them to the alpaca pasture in a portable house that we have along with Mr. Big. That will leave about 75 Red Stars in the main barn with Uncle Smokey & Rusty (our young rooster with no feathers on his feet). Uncle Smokey is very docile and seems to manage to keep his feet from being pecked - mostly by staying on the roost & out of harms way. He's the rooster in my avatar.

I have 3 hens that are bothering my Roos feet also. I feel so bad for him. He sits on his perch all day and hides his feet from them. They bleed all over. My coop looks like a bad Chucky movie occationally. I sprayed Blue Kote on Roo every other day and the hens don't stop. I just recently thru them out of the coop. I bring them back in at night. I hope this works, but I don't like to leave them out all day, everyday.

Is "Hot Pick" better than blue Kote?

HELP!

Back
Top Bottom