Female Silkie in PA/NJ/DE or New England (NH/VT/NY/CT/MA)

jennw36

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 11, 2007
I have been begging my husband to allow me to get a few chickens and he finally understands the benefits! We are looking for 2-3 female silkies. I am having no luck finding sexed silkies and my readings have lead me to believe that sexing the silkies is very difficult. Because of this I am obviously likely to receive a male bird and was wondering what this would do to the edd laying. Will I be able to eat the eggs if there is a male present as my assumption is that the eggs would be fertilized. Again, I'm new here. Also, does anyone know where I can get such a small quantity of silkies or chickens in general? Can you buy chickens at a private farm like you can buy ducks and if so does anyone know of a farm in the PA/NJ/DE area?

UPDATED: I would also be willing to drive to New England to pick up some chicks if anyone has anyone has any.

Thanks in advance!

Jenn

Last edited:
having a male would would give you 1 less chance of having an egg each day. If you have a rooster, your eggs should be fertile, and it will not effect the ability to eat. Yes you can by them from individual farms/persons, check the BUY SELL TRADE section I know there are some HOPE0491(the number may be wrong but its hope***) did have some listed, she is west of Lancaster PA so may be too far.

You should ask yourself WHY silkies, why not REAL chickens
lau.gif
gig.gif
th.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23998

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25021

Last edited:
Thanks you so much for the info! I selected silkies for their what I have read about their size (I live on .13 acres), demenor, ability to deal with some cold weather and obviusoly their look.

Okay, so this question is going to sound stupid to those who have been doing this a while, but I have never had a chicken and my husband's father (farmer) raised chickens for slaughter.... is there a difference between a male chicken and a rooster?

Okay, so this question is going to sound stupid to those who have been doing this a while, but I have never had a chicken and my husband's father (farmer) raised chickens for slaughter.... is there a difference between a male chicken and a rooster?

No difference. A rooster is a male chicken, and a male chicken is either called a cockerel (under one year old), or a rooster (over one year old).​

Jennw, I've never had Silkies, but they are quite the popular topic of conversation around here. Just a little note, because their feathers are not the normal insulating chicken feather, they do have some susceptibility to cold. How cold does it get in your neck of the woods?

Also, congratulations on the go-ahead to get chickens. I was elated when my hubby agreed too!!! Welcome to BYC, the nicest group of people who will go out of their way to answer questions and be helpful! Just don't listen to anything Purple Chicken has to say. He thinks Silkies have evil mind-control powers.

Sounds like you need to incubate some eggs!
smile.png

You could always keep the "pick of the litter" and sell the others.

Yes, I am an enabler.

Quote:
Because of their feathers Silkies do way better in the cold then most breeds. They just can't handle the rain/wet weather.

I live in Maine, if my Silkies can go outside in the middle of January (they go out more then my big birds and for longer periods) in the weather we have...they can certianly handle PA/NJ/DE.

Agree with you on that Angie. Silkies make great winter birds. Just watch for wetness, as they don't shed water well.

Jenn - I might be able to help you with 2 hens. I'm in eastern PA (Slatington) if you want to mapquest to see how far. I would like them picked up tho.

Jody

This Ad was just placed Yesterday
12-12-07

SILKY HENS AND ROOSTERS, white or brown, will sell in pairs for $5 or all 12 for $20. 302-730-1744, DOVER, DE

Back
Top Bottom